How do I re-allocate hard drive space from D: to C:?
Question by Nicole Lazos Bonomo /
Ads by Google

My  C: drive is full, I have shrunk the D: drive and now have 116.94GB of un-allocated space but I am not presented with the option to extend the C: volume. C: has all my program files so dont want to reformat or I will wipe the operating system and other program files. How do I allocate the free disc space to my existing C drive?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , .
Join live MakeUseOf Groups on Grouvi App Join live Groups on Grouvi
638 Members
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
549 Members
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
535 Members
Mac OSX Tips & Issues
Mac OSX Tips & Issues
250 Members

Comments for this Question are closed.

Answers (10)
  • Kim Mehta

    I have IBM Think-pad laptop. I have Window-7 system. The total capacity of the internal drive is 187 GB. The internal hard drive is partitioned as C drive - 48.7 GB and F drive - 137 GB. The C drive is used only to Install programs ( applications) software. All data is stored in the F drive. Also I have an external hard rive G - 298 GB.
    Problem : my C drive is all most full. Only 1.88 GB free space is left on the C drive. I need more space on my "C" partition. how can I do it. I have 54 GB free space left on the "F" partition of the internal drive.

    My Preference: If possible move all of my data from F partition to my external drive. Move partition of the internal drive to make F drive of only 4 GB and the C drive of (48.7 + 50 = 98.7 GB).

    Need Help: I do not know how to do it successfully. Can it be done and how.



    Hello, I would recommend using the free version of EASEUS Partition Master Home edition. It is easy to use and you can shrink, merge, create partitions, etc. Here is the link:

    The following are the steps provided by EASEUS on how to merge partitions:

    Hope it helps

  • abood

    my hard drive c is full no space 80GB in my hard drivr E more spase 1TB
    so how i can make hard drive c Make more space (500GB)
    kindly HELP (-_-)

  • raja

    format a disk drives other than c:.then u get an option to extend drive wil be helpful for u.

  • Bruce Epper

    Paragon Software provides several tools that can help with this process as well and I have never had an issue while using them.  They have a free partition manager available here  There is a paid version for $10 that has more features and will work on multi-boot systems (the free version doesn't).  They also have a full range of other drive management products as well if you ever have need for them.

    I have no vested interest in recommending their products, just a very satisfied user.

  • Susendeep Dutta

    To increase the size of C: drive, EaseUS Partition Master is simple tool to do so.

    EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition -

    Caution : Before performing any operations,backup your data.

    How to increase free space on C drive using  EaseUS Partition Master -

  • Alan Trinder

    your c drive needs to have the free space next to it. I use a handy thing called mini tool partition wizard home edition that I downloaded.

  • Carpenter__RichardCarpenter

    Well, If you have XP you will have to use a program (Gparted, etc.) to charge the partion. In Win 7 it has the option in disk management.

    Gparted is a LiveCD that will let you do want you want, while minimizing damage. You can get it here: 

    Also here are some screenshots:

    If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

Ads by Google
New comment

Please login to avoid entering captcha

Log In