Why can I not read self-burned DVDs?

Tooma April 26, 2010

My Laptop is a DELL Studio 1537. I have a problem with my CD-DVD reader and writer. It cannot recognize or read some CDs or DVDs. My driver is TSST-T633A.

I installed latest firmware versions, changed Windows versions to try drivers under Windows XP and Windows 7. The best result I got is that I can read all CDs and empty DVDs. I can write DVDs, but I can’t read the content of the DVD. On another laptop the same DVD works.
What can I do? What is the best driver brand I could get?

1. fruitgeek.wordpress.com

If this Dell cannot write DVDs, it will not be able to read DVDs that are still appendable/not finalized. In other words, if the writer can still edit the DVD, you may need to go through the finalization process.

• Jack Cola

That's doesn't sound right. DVD drives can read but not write, not only write but not read.

Also, good suggestions from above. Check your DVD region (IMPORTANT: You can only change this like 3 - 5 times, so be careful) and whether or not the DVD has been finalized (meaning you can't write to it again)

2. Taty

Tooma, I think part of the confusion has to do with the fact that it seems to be inconsistent. Your driver would be burner if most DVDs and/ or CDs didn't work. Is that the case? Are you using Windows to burn the cds? If not, you should check the settings you are using, uninstall and re-install the driver,and as Jack suggested, try to reset the driver first. I would also contact Dell, but if it's out of the warranty, they might charge you to take a look. If all fails, Sony makes good drivers in general.

3. Tooma

i think it maybe due to dvd region ,am i right ?

I second that. The issues you pointed out suggest that's it's a problem with region setting. Read following article, it explains what you need to do to get the DVDs playing.

Make your DVD player region-free in seconds

Why would this affect self-burned DVDs?

Have you tried with different marks of media? It happened to me on a different computer to be able to write but not to read depending on the media I used, while another computer with another type of drive will do it...

I was having the problem with CDs and DVDs on which I burned at least two sessions, if thats your case too, then you should try "isobuster",( http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php) it helped me.

Does a factory reset of your laptop work? Ie reset your computer to when you first got it? If it doesn't fix it, I would contact your Dell to see if they can fix it under warranty.

A quick Google reveals that a few people are having the same problem as you are.