How can I read all my emails on my new laptop?

Frankie Morrissey August 24, 2012

I have had a desktop computer for about 5 years with an email address, but I can’t open certain emails plus I have a different email address on my phone. So I have recently bought a new laptop and I want to be able to receive emails from both my email address on it and I don’t no how to set it up.

1. Roshin idi

If you use Thunderbird, your old unread emails should already be synced

2. Darren

I bought a new laptop and now i cant access any of my accounts like ebay,facebook. Is it the new windows 7 that is blocking it?

3. Bodi Hemanth

use microsoft outlook to read or export your e mails to another system.

If e-mail provider used POP3 server, mail was downloaded to your computer and will have to be exported to your new laptop. A provider with IMAP server retains mail on server so just setup account with same e-mail address and password in your e-mail client. Your e-mail is copied to your computer when you open this account. Why couldn't you open some e-mail?

5. salim benhouhou

try using postbox or thunderbird email clients .

6. Sumaiya

use outlook

7. Alan McNamara

If you have a recent Windows computer, Vista and Windows 7, use Live Mail.
    click the 'Start Button' and type 'Live Mail' in the search box at the bottom of the program pop-up.
    Live Mail setup should be already in your O/S and load from there.
    I use Live Mail for all my emails (POP, Hotmail, Live, gmail, Yahoo! mail and more.

8. steven ...

Mail clients that support POP will download all your mails as long as they are still there on the server

9. Naoman Saeed

thats one reason i dont use email clients. just open one account in browser check emailthen log out and open the other account.

10. Amit Sinha

Use an email clent like MS Outlook 2007 or Thunder bird and set up your email account.
    When you open Outlook 2007, It asks for your name email id and password after providing these details the software automatically configures itself and start downloading all your emails from your email server.

If you have custom email id of your company then you have ask the administrator for outgoing and incoming server and port number and you have to enter all these manually

11. Igor Rizvi?

Try to look for a thunderbird tutorial on the internet on how to set it up

12. Lambvolution

you must have specific answer, because every email provider and email client have different setting

13. VictorGeis

I would try looking into Postbox; it's a great little program. Also maybe check out the free version Postbox Express: http://www.postbox-inc.com/express_features

Hello, were you using a desktop client like thunderbird or outlook to read your email? Is it a webmail based email like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc? You should be able to get your email by using thunderbird(free) or you could even setup gmail to receive your email.

If you were using outlook, you can set it up to get your email but you would need your old .pst file to be imported in order for you to be able to get your contacts, calendars, etc. If you provide more details about what clients/webbased email you were using before, we can provide more precise instructions.

15. Emmanuel Olalere

It depends, you can either use a dedicated app like Outlook or you can access it from your browser

16. i0ni

A solution would be redirecting the emails from one email account to another. So you choose one main account that you use and redirect the emails from the second email to the main one. This is known as email forwarding and most email providers have that option.

17. danielooi

You can always use the web interface of your emails provider. Such as gmail.com or yahoo.com.

18. Silviu Despa

You can connect all of your emails ( I know hotmail and gmail work like that) and then use Live Mail software to read and write emails from your pc. I use it and it's great and fast !

• April Eum

that's forwarding, it can be really nasty way to get to email as sometimes it takes a while to forward depending on the server.

19. Lisa Santika Onggrid

As far as I know emails aren't tied to a certain machine. If you use webmail, then it's the same wherever you are. If you use email client, install it to your new laptop and connect it to your email address the same way you setup your email in your old laptop. All email client have options to export/import existing data. You might look for that.
    As stated by others, you really don't give much information.

20. mrm528581

Postbox is a desktop email application which works well.

Although Thunderbird is free to use,but Mozilla will only provide security updates to it.Visit the link below to know how to setup your email account in Thunderbird -

https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/automatic-account-configuration

After that,you'll need to add another account which is mentioned in the link below -

http://quintagroup.com/services/support/tutorials/email-account/thunderbird

If you're using Hotmail,Yahoo mail and other webmail services,use Webmail addon for Thunderbird -

http://webmail.mozdev.org/installation.html

To receive emails from different email addresses you need to choose an email client, free or paid for.
    If you take the free route then Thunderbird is well worth a shot, if you want a paid for client then Postbox is good.
    Once installed add your different email addresses, passwords, server addresses etc and your all set.
    Test the accounts by emailing from one to the other and back again to make sure they work as expected.

23. jrasulev

If you use Thunderbird, try MozBackup or. MozBackup only backs up the essential information rather than all the information in your Mozilla profile, but that's fine for most users. You can get MozBackup here: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

24. Sebastian Hadinata

What email provider did you use? And did you use any email client in your previous desktop computer? If so, what email client did you use?

25. luc moonen

Look for instructions on exporting emails for the email client you were using.
    Also most clients have the ability to setup more then one account somewhere in the preference menu.

You aren't really giving enough information for specific answers.