How can I re-activate the autoplay window for external storage devices on Windows Vista?

Myke46 November 10, 2010

I use a lot of external storage devices on my HP Compaq Presario CQ50-103NR Windows Vista Basic machine. When I plug in a device, I no longer get the auto-run window. I know some people find this feature annoying, but it expedites things for me. Any ideas will be welcomed.

• Myke46

Thank all of you for your suggestions.I went through and made sure all the settings were correct,when that didn't work I followed the link you provided and the registry fix did the trick.Once again I want to thank your "team"for allowing us aspiring geeks to pick your collective brains.

Hi
    first connect your device

There are three different ways to access the AutoPlay Settings Panel:

1.Open the Start Menu –> click Default Programs –> click Change AutoPlay Settings.
    2.Open the Start Menu –> enter autoplay in the Start Search box –> press Enter.
    3.While in the AutoPlay Dialog Box that pops up after inserting a CD or other removable media you will see a “Set AutoPlay defaults in Control Panel” link at the bottom of the AutoPlay dialog box as shown below. Click on the link to access the Settings Panel.

Any of these three options will take you to the AutoPlay Settings Panel. From there you can click on any of the drop down arrows to modify the action that will occur when you insert each type of media or device.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-AutoPlay-settings

Ensure that Shell Hardware Detection service is running

Type “service.msc” in Start Search to run Services console. Locate Shell Hardware Detection, and ensure that the “Service Status” is Running, and “Startup Type” is Automatic. If not, start the service and change the Startup Type setting accordingly.