Can I get my ratings off my iPod?

Jeff June 5, 2010

I need to reformat my old iPod to a different computer. I have all the songs backed up so that is not a worry. I just would like to get my ratings off the iPod. Can I do that?

I’ve downloaded SharePod and it seems I can just backup all my rated songs. However, then I will have duplicates. Is there a way to just remove the ratings data and put it in iTunes on my new computer?

Or if I have to use SharePod like I described, is there a neat way I can do it so I don’t get duplicate song files?

Much thanks for any thoughts or advice.

If it's only the ratings, playlists and playcounts you're missing, you can restore those from your backup drive if you have the original files named: "iTunes Library.itl" and "iTunes Music Library.xml" located in your "My MusiciTunes" folder. replace these files on your new laptop with your backup copies and your problem is solved.