How much RAM do I need to run Windows 7?
Question by ali /

Is 1 GB RAM enough for Windows 7? Should I extend it? Any suggestions?

• astaris

i have 4 gb ddr 3  running in win7 6 bit is that enough for gaming ?

Totally sounds like enough! But if it’s 64-bit, you can upgrade to 8GB. That might eventually be a good idea…also depends on the type of games you want to play of course!

• Richard Cranium

Win 7 32 bit has max memory of 4GB BUT if you install 4GB you’ll find the total shown as less, that’s because memory used for video is subtracted. If cost isn’t a big issue install 4GB, any more is a complete waste of money. In general although the system may run with 1GB it will work better with more. But it’s a “law of diminishing returns” so the performance benefit of moving from 2GB to 3GB is much less than if you move from 1GB to 2GB.
    If I understand right: if you have a video card with 512MB onboard memory then that amount is subtracted from your 4GB maximum so if you install 4GB you’ll only benefit from 3.5GB, hence some PC makers ship with 3GB RAM rather than include the extra 1GB of which you’ll only see half.

• Goranrapic

I have 16gb of ram ddr3 2100 and a 2gb video so 18gb for win 7 is that ok

• Goranrapic

That sounds like more than enough!

That sounds like more than enough!

That sounds like more than enough!

That sounds like more than enough!

• Emiko

You’re just being showy. lol.
      Normal people don’t need that much. Normal is 2-4gb. Advance users are 6-8gb. and hardcore gamers & media-freaks, are up to 16GB.
      Anyone with anything over that is either a HD video/3d-model editor, or an obnoxious newb who thinks a bigger number means a faster computer.

I’m waiting for my new dell to get here, with 8gigs, and i’m a photoshop-freak & gamer and 8 gigs is more than enough! But now i’m back on my old pc, which is windows xp 32bit, and it works fine on 1gigs of memory……so i’m thinking windows 7 32bit would do okayish with 1gig, but i’d recommend 2 at the min.. and then windows 7 64bit will do fine with 2gigs, but i’d recommend 4, at the MIN. [if you can afford a few extra bucks though, just get 8…’s great future-proofing! lol]

• Aravski

always more than the requirement. so more than 1gb

• Fintan415

1 GB will preform well enough(underlined) with Win 7, 32 bit. Yes, more is better. I am 5 foot 2″.

Basically, Microsoft recommends a minimum of 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit versions of the operating system and a minimum of 2 GB for 64-bit versions. If you plan on taking advantage of the Windows XP Mode feature, you should bump those requirements up to include an additional 1 GB of RAM.

Remember that 32-bit operating systems have a theoretical limit of 4GB of RAM so there is no point in installing more than 4GB if you intend to install a 32-bit version.

Try using Using the Windows Experience Index, which is a feature built into Windows, you will understand how well Windows will perform on a specific PC, and make the buying process of new PCs, hardware upgrades, and software simpler.

To determine your WEI score, click on Start and then right click on My Computer. Select Properties from the menu and the System Information window opens.Click on Windows Experience Index under the System section in the middle of the window. This opens the Performance Information and Tools window.If you haven’t run the WEI assessment yet, click on Run the Assessment in the bottom right hand corner of the window. If you have already run the assessment, you subscores and score should be displayed in the window.

The Memory Score
    The memory score measures the bandwidth of moving data into and out of memory in Mega Bytes per Second. The higher the bandwidth, the better the memory.

Not having enough memory is a limiting factor on performance. As a result, the amount of memory in the system constrains the score value. The amount of system memory is determined by the overall system memory minus any memory reserved for graphics (if any).

for instance Less than 1.5 GB the the highest possible score will be 4.5

I second Osama’s comment.

In the long run it’s a good idea to upgrade RAM, unless you really just want to write on your computer. Software becomes more demanding all the time. For example you may want to watch the latest streaming videos using the latest (browser) plugins, while running stuff in the background. If you like to multitask and follow the latest fads, you will soon reach the limits of 1GB. But it depends on your preferences!

1 GB RAM is sufficient to run Windows 7 if you turn off graphical effects and features and only run basic programs like browser, eMail, and office software.

• Osama

1 GB is enough for windows 7 but if u are planning to use heavy software like photoshop or planning to play games like Call of Duty, u should upgrade to 2 GB