How do I know which RAM module I need to upgrade my desktop’s memory?

Brian W. November 2, 2011

I have been trying to get advice on the correct RAM upgrade for my desktop. It has a Gigabyte GA 8VT880P Combo (Rev 1.x) Motherboard. Pentium 4 and runs Windows XP SP3.

I have been given several different numbers of RAM sticks to fit, enough to confuse me, some say one will not work, some say another. I am not very experienced on these matters.

I have been told that it is best to fit: 2 x 1GB DDR2PC2-5300 SDRAM. Another source said this was not correct. Can any one push me into the correct direction please?

1. Brian W.

Errrrrrr Sorry if I have upset anyone ! Original query was for an Acer laptop and Fidelis I took your excellent advice, today purchased the actual memory you suggested and am very happy with the result. So happy with the first response did a second query about my desktop set up, Airis make, fitted with a Gigabyte mother board. Query was that Crucial said use 800 MHz, others said no higher than 667mhz. As originally stated I am 70 years old and not at all knowledgeable about computers. Have today been and purchased 2gb of memory for said desktop, was assured that it is compatible with 800,667 and 533 mhz. speeds. (Kingston DDR2 RMD2). Will fit tomorrow, hope it gives as good results as this has on the Acer. By the way used 1 x 2gb stick and 1 of the original 512 , it reports as 2.5 gb RAM fitted. Sorry again apologies one and all, two separate queries not a second one because I did not believe the results of the original. Thankyou for your help, I may one day screw up courage to ask again if I need more !. Brian Williamson (Spain).

• Jeff Fabish

Hi Brian!

You've upset nobody and we welcome all of your questions in the future! Keep us updated on how installing the ram goes. 

- Jeff

Hello, as Jeremy said, nobody is/was upset about it. The important thing is that your issue was fixed. Keep coming back if you have any more questions. It the know-how is there, we are willing and able to share the little knowledge there is. We have all been there and sometimes it is really hard to ask for help

Hello, as Jeremy said, nobody is/was upset about it.  The important thing is that your issue was fixed.  Keep coming back if you have any more questions.  It the know-how is there, we are willing and able to share the little knowledge there is.  We have all been there and sometimes it is really hard to ask for help

Hello, use the pc memory scanner tool from crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/

Thanks for your endless patience, guys!

I second the Crucial scanner. It's impartial, too. ;)

• Brian W.

Hello Fidelis. Please see reply already made, I made two seperate enquiries about two different computers. Originally an Acer laptop, secondly a few days later about a desktop fitted with a Giga byte mother board. All advice was noted and was very helpful in making my decision what to buy. Thankyou again. Brian W.(Spain)

The manufacturer states that you need:

Type: Dual Channel DDR2 533/400 or Dual Channel DDR 400 / 333Max capacity: 2 GBDIMM slots: 4

You can also purchase this memory from Diah Memory, Crucial (rev 2) and Memory Stock. When in doubt, run the crucial memory scanner to verify which ram you'll need (you don't have to purchase it from crucial).

Hello, the other day, I gave him all this info with links and everything....I guess he did not like my answer.