What is the quickest way to back up an external drive so I can format it to a different file system?

Kelly Wright August 21, 2012

I have a Western Digital Blue Ring 250GB external hard drive that I need to re-format from FAT32 to NTFS so I can try to make it work on old desktop that is running Ubuntu 8.04. What is the fastest way to backup the external hard drive so I don’t loose its contents?

1. cypherinfo

The best and easy way is to use this free application: Paragon Backup And Recovery:
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/index.html
    It is able to manage different scenarios: migration (backup and recovery) from a smaller Hard Disk to a greater one; migration (backup and recovery) from a greater Hard Disk to a smaller one; migration from an Hard Disk to an SSD unit.
    Its wizard makes it easy the process for new bye too.

Thank you.

2. Kelly Wright

Does anyone know the real deal on whether or not Ubuntu 8.04 will ever read and sync with a Western Digital (blue ring) 250GB external hard drive because i'm getting conlflicting answers. I don't want to try to upgrade to a more recent version of Ubuntu because the Desktop that I am running it on is an old Dell that I completely wiped and installed new OS and it is at its system requirments limitations to run 8.04 which is why I need to format the external to work with it without losing my music, pics, etcl.

3. Kelly Wright

thank-you, I am going to give the conversion a try and will post if it works.

4. ReĆ½ Aetar

just cut the content and pest it somewhere as backup that is the easiest and quickest way

if you are using Western digital hard drive to backup from and to restore to another western digital hard drive then there is Acronis True Image WD Edition
    http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

PartedMagic include several utilities to backup (with clonezilla) and format hard drive
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs
    to format or convert right click on the hard drive and choose appropriate action.

6. Usman Mubashir

I copied all the data in different drives to DVDs and was able to format them and copy new data in them.

• Kelly Wright

I'm just trying to avoid the tedious time consumption that is making all those DVD's for 250GB worth of files of all types on an Toshiba Satellite L305D Laptop that starts moving very slowly whenever I try to move large amouts of data and it seems to corrupt so much of it in the process.

If you have any other drive large enough to hold the contents of the drive you want to back up, you can simply copy all of your files to the other drive. You only need to do this in the event that something goes wrong with the conversion. You can do an in-place conversion from FAT16/FAT32 drives to NTFS. The 'convert' command handles this process. After backing up all of your files, simply execute the following command: 'convert /fs:ntfs'. You need to replace with the drive letter of the device you want to convert, including the trailing colon. If you want the files to be accessible to all users, also inclue the '/NoSecurity' flag on the command line.

• Kelly Wright

unfortunately I don't have another external to copy to and my old desktop runs Ubuntu and my laptop runs Vista so I'm having to use the Vista running laptop to try to back up 250GB worth of music and family photos and thus the reason I was asking about the fastest way because it is taking forever to copy as much as it can handle at a time to dvd. I was just hoping someone would know a better, faster way to back up an entire external without me having to purchase another external and I'm not sure that Ubuntu will even recognize that Western Digital Blue ring External when I do change it to NTFS so if anyone knows or has experience making ubuntu recognize their western digital products please let me know. Thanks for the timely response and sorry mine wasn't.

• Kelly Wright