What is Quick Web and why is it on my computer?

Brenda C July 29, 2014

I was wondering why Quick Web was on my computer when I opened it up after I had turned it off earlier and I’m the only one living here. Could someone be on my computer without my knowledge?  It asked for a password and I put in the one I use for my computer but it kept saying wrong password. Could someone tell what they think might me going on? Thank you so much.

1. Bre

I went to the BIOS like recomended but the funny thing is there is nothing there that says Quick Web at all .

2. Jeff F

HP QuickWeb is an innovative suite of applications that can be accessed within seconds of powering on the computer. HP QuickWeb resides outside the Windows operating system, allowing you to quickly check e-mail, surf the web, chat via instant messenger and Skype, listen to music, and view pictures. Use this document to lean how to set up and use HP QuickWeb.

I recommend as a precautionary measure to compare the installation directory, file hashes and executable signatures with those provided by HP online to ensure that this is in fact a legitimate HP app and not rogueware. In most cases, this is a pre-installed operating system that HP includes by default. You may decide to remove Quick Web if you have no need for it to reduce your system's attack surface, by going into your BIOS and Mdisabling Quick Web from there.

See Also..
    HP QuickWeb - A window to your online world
    Related HP QuickWeb questions & answers.

3. Bre

I dont have a widget for my email. Google is my home page and thats were I go to my gmail.

Well, if this a Compaq or HP computer, Quick Web is software the bypasses the full OS on the system to get you quicker access to the Internet. You can use it to check your email, browse the web, Skype with friends and family and more by using the various widgets. If it is asking for a password, you have probably launched a widget for your email, Skype or another password-protected account. In that case, you need to provide the credentials for that particular service, not the one you use for your computer.