Can you help me with some questions regarding the article How To Turn An Old Router Into A Wireless Bridge?

Ashutosh September 9, 2011

Thank you for this article How to Turn an Old Router Into a Wireless Bridge How to Turn an Old Router Into a Wireless Bridge Not sure what to do with your old router? Try turning it into a wireless bridge! The process is surprisingly straightforward. Read More – exactly what I was looking for. I have a spare Cisco/Linsys WRT54G2 V1 wireless G router. It is a supported router and I followed all the steps and flashed it with DD-WRT. The new DD-WRT admin interface is visible and the flashing was successful. I have changed all the settings to match the “Client Bridge” setting as described.

1. I still cannot connect to this Cisco router though I can wireless connect to the main router.

2. If I connect to the flashed router with a LAN wire then I can see all the settings – I still cannot access the internet or access my main router.

It looks like that this router is not able to hook up to the main router wirelessly though I have tried to put them next to each other and then tried it.

Assuming everything works as it is supposed to, a related question is: the flashed router has four LAN ports – can I also attach wired devices into it?

Unfortunately, I am not sure how to go about troubleshooting this.
Thanks for all the help.

Ashutosh

To answer your second question:
    If you configure the DD-WRT device as a client bridge you can ONLY connect to it via wired connection. The wireless connection is only used to link (bridge) from your existing WiFi network to the DD-WRT device. 

The purpose of this setup is to get wired connection in an area which you cannot connect via cable to your existing network e.g. if you need to bridge a network between two buildings.

Since you said you can connect to your DD-WRT device but not your primary router or internet I can only assume that something is wrong with your setup. It sounds a lot like you have DHCP enabled on the DD-WRT router which gives your computer a network address. Usually the DHCP should (only) come from your primary router.