How can we put multiple Linux boot structures on a thumb drive?

Ray Nelson August 14, 2011

I use several Linux based utilities that run from thumb drives. They typically take little space and it would be nice to put several onto a drive and be able to choose which you want to start up. Can this be done, and How?

1. Ray

It has worked On all 3 computers.   Really nice stuff.   Initially I had used an older model 250mb thumb drive.  Funny that would not boot on my old (LittleDell) as I call it.   Put same structure on a Newer 8g Thumb drive and that works.

By the way, just had the Occasion to use off the SHDC chip on my Gateway and this time it worked.   I managed to get the whole Windows environment onto my C drive
    s partition, I had no need for Recovery (never used it and never will) and by copying the boot files from System Reserved to the C drive and flagging C as the active volume, I am now fully operational with only one partition for the Windows System.  

Image backups are my recovery medium.   I really like linux,  need to work with it more.  Next step Dual Boot Windows 7 and Linux.   

Thanks everyone, happy computing....

2. Ray Nelson

This worked perfectly (well almost).   

It required no install, IE the program just runs.   Easy to use and did the job.But, when I booted it, it presented an initial screen with options to boot normally or from one of the ISO's I had put on it (Acronis and Macrium).   I selected 2nd, and a blank screen presented.   Well I hit return and Acronis Started (so Acronis is there).Guessing at the problem, I rebooted to same spot, hit down arrow (blind navigation), hit return and Macrium started.Everything works, just blind navigation that is a pain.  This is on a 16g mini SDHC chip.  Will try boot on my Daughters Laptop to see if that Monitor displays appropriate content and let you know.

I want to put Unbutu on it too, have a nice distribution (ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386) of that which I could now easily have to play with.

Thanks for the feedback, Ray!

How did it work out on the other laptop?

3. Ray Nelson

Wow, that was fast.... Thank you...

• Jeffery Fabish

That's what she said.

Tell me if it works!

• RayLNelson

The SDHC chip would not boot on My Daughters New Laptop, so I made same structure on a thumb drive.

It booted, and the Screen displayed correctly.   So must be something to do with my ATI Radeon HD 5700 video card.

Any ideas on fixing that?   

• Jeffery Fabish

Try reverting back to the SDHC chip and make sure your bios is configured to use that in the boot priority section. 

Which distribution were you using that the graphics failed? 

I would use YUMI for burning from a Windows box, or MultiSystem for burning from a Linux-based box.