Should I purchase a TechNet subscription to have access to free Microsoft software?

jody July 31, 2010

I have been looking on eBay for Windows Home Server to put on a spare PC. The licenses are going for about £60!

I also had a look at a Microsoft TechNet subscription, it’s £135 in the UK for the basic one. I presume you get access to all (or most) of the software?

Do you only get 1 licence per piece, e.g. 1 licence key for Windows 7 Home, 1 key for Windows 7 Ultimate etc.? Do the keys ever run out? What happens after your subscription finishes? Is it worth buying one?

Any info appreciated before I shell out £135!

1. Andrew

It is only legal and valid for evaluation purposes.

2. Ummyssalu_33

I can confirm there is 10 keys for most producst (some server softwares only have one).
    And I also confirm, once activated, even when the subscription run out, your key is valid as long as long as you don't need to re-activate.

thanks for confirmation!

3. Dan

Yes, you get 10 keys each with 10 activations. All products get official support (through that can be very limited) and there are a few products which you can no longer get due to copyright infringements by Microsoft.

If you want more than 3 or 4 Microsoft products (eg 2x Windows, a server and Office for them) it is definitely worth it.

4. Omer

here is a chart that that tell you what you from eich subscription
    http://technet.microsoft.com/he-il/subscriptions/bb892756%28en-us%29.aspx
    and here is an exel chart wich shows you what software you get
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/7/8/C78DB720-88CB-455E-AA0E-A087CB332A23/TechNet_Product_List.xlsx
    after looking throw the chart i think 135 pounds is a steal for all you are getting

5. Don

I have the same questions. I hope a current subscriber will respond soon.

I don't have a technet subscription, but I believe you get 10 keys - pretty certain for each software. And I think (not positive) that you can use each key 10 times, therefore giving you 100 copies.

But I would double check. But I strongly believe you get 10 product keys for each software.

I also think, if you activate the key (Ie, actually install it a computer, and not just retrieve it) before you end your subscription, yo can use it for as long as you like - but double check.