Can I purchase a domain independent of hosting and use it for eMail?

Alex August 12, 2010

I am looking to purchase my first domain. I am not interested in setting up a website just yet. I simply want to have it so no one else does and so I can use it for my eMail.

Where can I buy the cheapest domain? Do I pay an annual fee? Do I need hosting if I just use it for eMail? How do I set up the eMail?

Thanks!

1. Rpscot55

Do I have to have a host to build a website with a domain I already purchased?

2. Rpscot55

Can I eventually build a website from the domain name I purchased for email?

3. Amarendra Kumar

What about essential features and options, while going for a domain registrar, like:

transfer-out fees, WhoIs privacy protection, who is domain owner/registrant (for both organization and administrator), Domain lock-in, domain auth-code, no extra cost/fee while renewing.

Which regitars you recommend with these features included in the price at the time of registartion. NameCheap charges extra I think.

Amarendra,

I recommend that you ask a new question.

• Amarendra Kumar

There are new sub-questions in my question, Tina. Just in case you didn't notice.

4. Ny51bern

Wow thanks for all of that. Any reason you picked 1and1 and not Go Daddy? Does it really matter where I buy my domain from?

Also, step #3 - 'Set up your mail servers' - will that be clearly stated and explained once I connect the domain to Google Apps?

How much memory will I have with these email addresses that I make? Will it be the standard Gmail amount?

• William Brand

Quick tip, but next time reply directly to my comment so I get an email about it.

I've heard a couple stories about GoDaddy having bad service so I decided not to go for it. At the time 1and1 had some decent reviews and was running a sale (I think $5? Maybe $6?). Really though, it doesn't matter much where you buy.

If I remember right it was pretty explicit, but just in case it wasn't go here: http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33352 -- I can't really explain it any more clearly than they could.

Your space will be the same as any Gmail account, yes. I'm pretty sure that space is per user by the way, and you're allowed up to 50 users on a free account.. so if you ever need more, just make a backup. I'd even suggest making a spare user on your domain just for potentially spammy websites.

• Ny51bern

Yeah I realized afterwards. I'm just going to look for the cheapest registrar then. I don't plan on making a website out of it.

Thanks for all your help.

5. William Brand

Domains are generally $7-10 per year.

Hosting is only required so far as you need a place to point your mail servers. Luckily you can just use Google Apps to use the slick, Gmail interface on your domain's email for free. I have it set up so all my mail on my domain forwards to my main Gmail accounts, and when I send an email (either in reply or to start) from Gmail it lets me pick which email address to use from a dropdown menu. Completely integrated :)

If you want to do it the way I have, here's what you do:
    1. Buy a domain from anywhere. I bought mine from 1and1.com and it's set to automatically charge me $8 every year.
    2. Register for Google Apps Standard (the free version).
    3. Set up your mail servers to point at Google and make your first email address, as instructed after you click "Get Started."
    4. Log in to your new Google Apps email and you can set it to forward to your current main address. I did this because I plan to continue using both and Gmail makes this seemless. The option is under Settings -> Forwarding
    5. If you use Gmail like I do (you should!) go to Settings -> Accounts and Import. You can click "Send mail from another address" to start sending mail as your new domain name. All you have to do is click a confirmation link on your Google Apps account. Now with forwarding enabled you can either log in through Google Apps (I dislike this) or go to gmail.com like most people do and use that as your main email hub.

Hi, Yes, you can purchase a domain name to use without a website for email only.

What you can do is buy your domain (I purchase mine from NameCheap (review) and then you can just install Google Apps on the domain so essentually you can use Gmail for your own domain name by following these directions http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=87127.

But basically, you have to pay an anual fee for it - usually around $10USD per year for a .com

If you have more questions, please reply to this.

• Ny51bern

Is the fee paid automatically? I have heard stories about people losing the rights to their domain. How do that work and how do I make sure I don't lose it?

Thanks for your answers!

Almost every domain registrar allows you to set the domain to auto renew
        on its own and bill your card automatically.

Aibek

• Ny51bern

So which registrar should I use? Does it matter or should I just look for the cheapest price?

I would recommend using Moniker, http://www.moniker.com/

They are not the cheapest, probably pricier than most but its VERY secure.

Aibek

• Ny51bern

I doubt anyone is going to target this website. I think I'll just look for the cheapest..any suggestions on the matter?

• Amarendra Kumar

Where did you buy? Satisfied and secure?