Why does my PS3 no longer recognize my PC as a media server?
Question by sbarnet /

One day PS3 stopped ‘seeing’ my PC as a media server and now I can no longer watch my movies via my PS3. Set streaming options, allowed this, allowed that, went to all of these PS3 blog sites – nothing!?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , .
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple TV Tips
Apple TV Tips
Home Entertainment
Home Entertainment
Wearable Tech
Wearable Tech

• Baobei4018

I searched around some more and found a very simple solution.  Powered down my computer, unplugged router and modem, unplugged PS3… let all of them restart.  Now the PS3 sees my media router again.

• guest

same thing happened to me as of yesterday Jan 25 2012.  I didn’t change anything, but the PS3 no longer sees my PC’s media server even when I try a new scan for one.

I even followed jessica’s suggestions on how to set up the server (the particular setup she suggests was something I didn’t need to have before)

I can still access the net through the PS3, but not my media server.

• Claire

I have downloaded ps3 to my computer however when i go to open nothing happens. I have tried uninstalling & then re installing it but that doesn’t work. I had this program on about 6 months ago with know problem so why has it decided to not work?

SBarnet,

did Jessica’s answer help you to track down the problem? Please keep us updated. Thank you!

• Jessica Cam W.

Have you made any changes recently in the advanced sharing settings (e.g. turn Network Discovery off)?

Also, in the Media Streaming Options for your PS3/Unknown Device, when you click on Customize, do you have Use Default Settings or the second option (“Make All Of My Media In My Library Available To This Device”) ticked? 

I’ve noticed that even when you allow the device to stream content from your PC, if you have the first option checked, the PS3 somehow won’t see the PC, so if you only check the second option, you might have better luck. http://i51.tinypic.com/2eq83mw.jpg