How can I use a proxy server to circumvent a hotel filter that blocks webmail?

michel cmp January 2, 2011

A hotel has a free business center which is very convenient. However, they block all eMail sites. So people won’t read emails all day or so people will pay for WiFi?

How can I use a free proxy server to connect to my eMail, but avoid the hotel filter? I know someone once got his eMail through the proxy server at his job.

Another simple way to check email without actually visiting the actual email site itself is by using one of the portal sites that have the email plugins. Check out all of the MUO articles on Start Pages/Dashboard pages as a beginning point: http://www.makeuseof.com/tags/start-pages/

I particularly like Netvibes but I'm sure a number of others may work. They are particularly good for getting around especially strict filters that block just about every email site out there. Network admins haven't quite caught on to these dashboard sites yet so some of the plugins work quite well at retrieving your email without actually pinging the banned domain from your own PC and getting blocked - because in many cases the email is retrieved at the remote server and then displayed on your page.

Good luck!

Michel,

if this is a business center, the concern may be security rather than profit. Most companies offer VPN logins for their employees to protect sensitive information. You might want to check out this article: 7 Completely Free VPN Services To Protect Your Privacy

For more information regarding proxy servers, check out the answers to the questions below:
    Can you suggest proxy sites to find working proxy servers?
    How can I access YouTube from China?
    How can I access web sites blocked at work?

Please let us know what worked!