Can you provide some pointers to learn more about object oriented user interfaces?

Myth November 14, 2010

Object oriented user interfaces (OOUI) seems to be a relatively new concept. It is supposed to give the users a feel of the real world environment and objects. The appearance of the interface must be familiar to user, due to his experience in the real world.

I like to work on it, but it is very difficult. Could you give me some examples and tips? I like the tips here.

1. Ryan Dube

While it's not required, I would say learning about object oriented programming is a better first step. You don't need to know programming in order to create object oriented user interfaces - but if you have ever used object-oriented programming, the whole concept of having objects each with their own set of properties, parameters, methods, etc...it's not only a comfortable subject, it's a way of life.

If you aren't much of a programmer, the real question is what you require the methodology for. OOUI is not so much a "thing" as it is a framework for creating user interfaces. In my opinion, it's one of the best - because it's so intuitive and easy to learn. But without having a particular interface or development environment in mind, it's hard to point you in the right direction...