How can I prove I did not attempt to hack my friend’s email?

Lola The Accused October 31, 2011

I have been accused of attempting to hack a friend’s e-mail account. He received an alert saying that someone from my Internet provider attempted to access his account. I did no such thing and I believe it has something to do with the fact that he has accessed his Gmail account from my laptop. He is furious and I am innocent. How do I resolve this?

1. (DO)

Have your friend log into GMail from a web browser. All the way at the bottom of the page, on the right, is a link called "Details." Clicking on that will show the recent account activity from all locations. If you did attempt a hack, your IP address would show up on there. The only problem is that only works if you attempted the hack remotely, and/or aren't roommates and share an internet connection.

2. anonymous (of course)

1.  Produce medical records showing you were unconscious in ICU during the time in question.
    2.  Produce records showing you were in prson in solitary confinement with no computer access when the hack was attempted.
    3.  Show an official Death Certificate indicating time of death before hack was attempted.
    It is very hard to prove a negative...

3. Bourn6699

I would show your friend your history and show them the settings that you have on your email to prevent hacking. Also ask your friend why he/she thinks you tried to hack your email. 

First, explain to your friend that simply because you have the same ISP doesn't mean you're responsible. Hundreds of thousands of people use my ISP, does that mean I'm responsible when someone using the same ISP as me gets hacked? Usually not :P

If your friend can't trust your word, drop his ass. Both literally and figuratively if needed. You're not facing any legal charges, move on. You can ask your ISP to print a record of IP Addresses that have been released to you, but honestly that's not much proof because you could have been using a proxy (had you done it). Then compare these IP Addresses to the addresses listed on the account security page. 

Ask him if he's recently downloaded any attachments (spyware) or visited webpages asking him to log into Gmail, but the login failed for some reason (phishing). Have him check his history for recently viewed pages to see if any look Gmail, but aren't Gmail. 

@13jay:disqus Seeing as he said "attempted to hack", I assume the account wasn't "successfully hacked" it. 

• Jasna Basic

I was accused of using and entering eHarmony Dating website from my boyfriends computer. I know that my ex registered me on the web site as a joke, saying I cant find love, so I need to go on the internet. Is there a way to prove that I didnt. My boyfriend typed in my name and it came up, but he assumes I used to search matches up from his lap top I didnt. Is there a way to see if any of eHarmony pages were open from his laptop. We have broken up up due to this . Please help anyone

Jasna,

Sorry to hear about your tragedy. You can't really prove that you didn't open the website from a computer as you may have deleted any trace. And if you tell your boyfriend where to look, he might get even more suspicious, wondering how you know where to look.

The problem is not that you cannot prove your innocence. The problem is that he does not trust you. And I am not sure whether you can change that.

I would go a different route. Tell him honestly how you feel about him and about this whole incident. In your situation, I would be very disappointed that he didn't trust me. Also be clear to yourself and to him that a relationship without trust doesn't work. Maybe it is better that you have broken up.

If it happened recently you can try asking him to check something called recent activity at the very bottom of his Gmail account. From there he should be able to see when your friends email was accessed from your computer/IP address.

That's the problem, if he was accused of successfully hacking the account, then only he can say that his ip address is not there in the recent login activity.
      Because recent activity has only successful login history.
      but nothing can track the failed login/hacking attempts.

There is no cure of doubt. You can trace the hacker if an account is hacked.. but you can't trace a hacking attempt(via phone call).

7. Osama

ask him to show you the alert which he received, then ask him to prove that it's legit and if it is legit then ask him to contact the person who sent it to him and ask him to prove that u done it....