How can I protect my Mac laptop from getting hacked into?

MAC January 28, 2011

What is the best anti-spyware software for a Mac laptop 10.4 11 Intel? My boyfriend keeps hacking into my eMail and Facebook accounts.

1. Silky

It's been a while now that I noticed a "padlock" sign at the  right top corner of my mac when I logged into my Facebook account and when I clicked on it, it shows the image below that I attached....Can anybody here please enlightens me what this means? Does it means that my Facebook is compromised?

The image is not showing up.

While I don't see the image either my first guess would be that you are seeing the SSL padlock ~ if it's green the site seems to be legit and secure, if it's red the sites SSL certificate is not valid and therefor may not be secure.

For a definite answer please (re-)post the image.

2. IDD

I'm sorry, but this is your boyfriend doing this????!!!!! This is a gross betrayal of your trust. Change passwords. Change boyfriend.

I don't which soft is the best but i'm uing ProteMac LogonKey. I think it's great.

I don't which soft is the best, but i'm using ProteMac LogonKey. I think it's great - no problems, bugs or anything else. http://www.protemac.com/logonkey/

Make sure to always log out from your Facebook and email accounts after you finish browsing.

6. Richard Carpenter

I personally use iAntivirus. It runs pretty good and is some of the best OS X Antivirus.

As for your email and Facebook accounts, the are completely on the Internet and nothing you do to your computer will help. I agree with Mike, change your passwords and never give them out.

For the security of your computer, nothing much will help you. It is painfully easy to get into a Mac.

It's painfully easy to get into any system with physical access :-)

IMO the only real protection is hardware-based FDE with automatic Encryption Key Delete and continuous ATA Secure Erase execution after first failed access. But then again how do you detect unauthorized access with the correct password? And how do I get my data back? Life's a b!tch (¬_¬)

• Richard Carpenter

There is a way to get around most drive encryption on a Mac. I have several Macs and use that daily, so I went on a rampage pen testing them. They are really some of the most insecure machines out there.

I use Windows Bitlocker for my sensitive data, it is some of the best out there.

• Mulder

Sorry, but that statement about encryption is pure B.S. There is no way to get around anything that's encrypted. Neither you or any government has that ability, so it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Mulder,

Encryption algorithms can be decrypted. That's the reason some
          encryption methods are known to be more secure than others.

• Mulder

The encryption algorithm used by Mac OS X cannot be decrypted by anyone without the key; no person or government has that ability.

• Kevin Beckford

Tough call, two valid viewpoints. @Mulder You forget that AAPL is an American company, with American servers, subject to the American Patriot Act, and more disturbingly, the IRS. What makes you think they need to break it? Amazon is a megacompany, they could have fought it, but I am certain that the EULA does not say "will do up to 10 months in the pen…" Apple is still boutique really, and hardly a privacy advocate.

You know Facebook phoned in what they had the week before.

@Aibek: There are a few techniques that are experimental, but pretty effective:

Take system and put on table, immerse owner in water for 2 minutes, put owner in front of system. Iteration 1. Repeat.

:-) yep, after watching 24 I am pretty that method should work

• Mulder

The basis of Apple's incorporation has nothing to do with this at all. Encryption cannot be broken by any government, and nobody will be tortured to reveal the key; it doesn't work. It's seems obvious that neither of you know anything about encryption, or even why it can't be broken. You've also failed to take into account the protections of the Constitution, which the Patriot Act cannot overcome.

• Adrian Kelly

Encryption can be broken using rainbow tables to try every possible key. Of course this takes a very long time, and longer keys mean more possible keys, so they are harder to break. For example, most of the files obtained by Wikileaks were initially encrypted.

There are various ways to get into an Mac OS X System but you don't really need any extra software to protect yourself.
    Also I doubt he is getting into your accounts by "hacking" your computer. It is more likely he got hands on your passwords.

deactivate all Remote Access options you don't need:
    1. open up System Preferences
    2. click on Sharing
    3. deactivate Remote Login and Apple Remote Desktop
    4. deactivate everything else you don't need

for even higher security you could activate the Firewall:
    1. open System Preferences
    2. click on Sharing
    3. click on the Firewall tab
    4. again, uncheck all services you don't need
    5. click on "Start"

As I said before, it is more likely your accounts are being accessed by knowing your passords! So you should change all of them and use different passwords!

- changing your Email password depends on the service you are using
    - your Facebook password can be changed within your Facebook account

Change your Mac OS X User Password:
    1. open System Preferences
    2. Click on "Accounts"
    3. select your Username and click on "Reset Password"

again you can gain additional security by disabling autologin:
    1. again, go to "Accounts" within System Preferences
    2. click on "Login Options"
    3. disable the automatic login option

One word of advice: DON'T give out your User password!
    If someone wants to use your Mac type in the password yourself or create a Guest Login!
    Mac OS X stores all passwords (Email, Websites, Messenger, etc.) in the Users Keychain. They are invisible by default but with the User password you can show them all in clear text.

• Mulder

"Mac OS X stores all passwords (Email, Websites, Messenger, etc.) in the Users Keychain."

No, it doesn't. It will store them only if if you choose to allow it. If you do choose to store passwords there, it's a good idea to encrypt that file, as well as choose a strong User password and also establish a hardware password.

• Rebarrezende

Sorry I can not find this file "Users Keychain" on my laptop.

• Duncan

Just to comment on your back and forth about encryption. Encryption can be broken it just depends how long one wishes to take and the means at their disposal, check out Wireds danger room blog this month to see how Iran broke the US air forces encryption and made off with a stealth drone. Encryption by nature is crackable albiet that state of the art encryption is extremely difficult and for the purpose of a home computer of most kinds. Also Mulder it might do you well to do some research on the patriot act 1 & 2, the non-combatants act and the NDAA. Your constitution no longer protects you from jack shit the three aforementioned pieces of legislations essentially nullify your constitution and/or create an end run around it. I'm Canadian and I read them ... you might want to as well.

Thanks for the input, Duncan!