How can I protect my Facebook from hackers?

faizanlovelyguy August 22, 2011

1. trisha ahuja

how can i protect my facebook id from hackers?

Trisha,

Did you follow the suggestions above?

Here are some main points:
      Make sure you have a strong unique password.
      Update your contact information, including telephone number and alternative email address, so that you can recover your account if you have to.
      Remove any Facebook apps that you are not using or that seem dodgy.
      Go over your privacy settings and close your account to strangers as much as possible.
      Go over your security settings and enable security code login if you have a mobile device.

2. Osama

Turning on the sms validation for login and turning on https in your facebook settings is a good measure.

Faizan,

this is a very general, but yet a good question.

First of all I would suggest to pick a strong password for your Facebook login, one you don't use anywhere else.

Secondly, always remember to log out of your account when you're done using it or when you're leaving a computer set up in a public place.

Then watch out where you use Facebook to sign into a different website, it may be a fake.

Finally, don't trust any of those spam emails that want to make you believe that you received a message on Facebook, but really they are just luring you into logging into a fake Facebook to steal your ID.

That's all I can think of right now.

• Jeffery Fabish

I'd like to add onto that!

1.) Enable SSL. SSL will encrypt your traffic from your computer to Facebook, therefor effectively preventing "man in the middle" attacks. To enable SSL, go to Account -> Account Settings -> Security (left) -> Edit secure browsing and enable "Browse Facebook on a secure connection (https) when possible". You should also enable "login notifications". If you have a mobile device, enable "login approvals". What "login approvals" will do, is if Facebook finds that you're attempting to login from an unknown (unregistered) device, it will send you a code. You will only be able to login with this randomly generated code. 

2.) Keep your anti-virus and firewall up-to-date. Obviously, if you don't have one, go get one. If malware is able to infect your system, they can simply record your keystrokes when you log into Facebook.  If you're willing to pay for an anti-virus, Kaspersky is very good. If not, Microsoft Security Essentials will do. I would drop Windows firewall and install Comodo's firewall which is way better. However, simply having an anti-virus and firewall is not enough, you will have to configure them as well.

3.) Hide your email. If a hacker doesn't even know your email, it makes it x2 harder to hack you. By default, your email is publicly available in your profile. Obviously there are other methods to find your email, such as other social networks or even social engineering, but this is a good precaution. 

4.) As Tina said, make sure you're on facebook. You should always be at https://www.facebook.com/ when you login, nothing else! Even if it looks exactly like facebook, don't login if it's not that URL.Being part of a few underground hacking websites and IRC's, I'll tell you that social engineering and malware is the most viable option for a hacker. If you seem secure against both, I could hack your friend and coerce you into revealing certain information (since you don't know your friend has been hacked).  

Very seldom does a hacker actually bruteforce (basically guess) the password, since Facebook implements turing, which will force them to enter a captcha after a few failed attempts, this would take literally millions of years, even on a super computer.

You should (to be safe) run your password through a password strength test, such as Password Meter and GRC Haystack. For the record, your password should be at least 9 characters and shouldn't contain obtainable information, such as birthdays, pet's name, because remember - This is publicly available right on your profile. Hope it helps!

• Jadav Hardik

hahahaha...lolz...do you think it really works???:P