How can I protect my eMail contacts from spammers?

Shelby Knittel December 30, 2010

How can I protect my eMail contacts from targeted by spammers?

Someone has used my eMail address to send spam to all of my eMail contacts. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shelby

1. May not need to panic just yet

While it is true that your computer may have been compromised, another very likely scenario is that your e-mail address was harvested from a computer that you emailed to or replied to, and the spammer is spoofing your e-mail address in the "From:" field, making it seem that you sent the spam, even though it didn't even originate from your computer. There is nothing you can do about this other than insist that all your friends and relatives practice safe computing and keep anti-malware programs up-to-date.

2. Mon-ami

try abine you can have emails forwarded from them...they give you email adressess and passwords as you fill forms ...great security suite

3. Bobaloub

that happened to my friend recently...she changed her password and did a virus scan.
    do you have a firewall installed ? I know most everyone says Zone alarm is the best but I like PC tools firewall.

4. rMatey180

Use a couple of other e-mail addresses. I have five, and use them for seperate functions. One I give out freely for those sites that need a real address. I go to the account and automatically delete everything since I only use it for throw-away mail. I keep two others for the real stuff, like financial and stuff that I want to receive - and actually check my mail. Two more are for less than important stuff.
    I don't keep my contacts on my computer, I actually log onto each account. That way if anything gets hacked the damage is isolated.

5. Saki

Scan your computer for antivirus and antispyware also.

It's really important that you do this step.

Shelby,

The first thing you should do right now is change your eMail login password!

To give you further advice, we need to know your eMail provider (e.g. Hotmail or Yahoo) and how you check your eMail address, i.e. do you use Outlook or do you log into Hotmail online?

My suspicion is that your eMail was either hacked or you have malware on your computer that hijacks your contacts list.

You should read the answers to the following questions:
    What can I do when someone is hacking my email?
    How can I protect my eMail from being hacked?