How can I protect my computer from infection via USB?

Rajeev sharma September 14, 2012

How can I disable my USB port to prevent copying valuable data from my laptop and infection with a virus via USB?

I don't know much about this, but maybe if you have a good antivirus is should do the trick? I have Unthreat Antivirus and even though I pass a lot of info into my computer through USB drives I don't have viruses.

2. Alex Perkins

You could also got for a hardware approach, you could tape up the ports, or even cut the traces inside the laptop coming from the USB ports.

3. Mike Merritt

I use Panda USB Vaccine to block autorun and virus initiated autoruns. See: http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/ It's free.

Once I plug in the USB drive, I can then scan it with my regular anti-virus program ... being assured that if there was a virus on it, that it didn't get to autorun and transfer to my computer.

Great peace of mind when bringing my thumb drive back home after using it on a "strange" computer.

4. salim benhouhou

you can use a USB Port Blocking Software so others can't plug USB drives into your PC unless you let them .
    http://www.pcbtechsoft.com/USB.html

5. Fernando Garza

You have four options:
    1) Disable all USB port in the BIOS. (But it will disable all your devices connected)
    2) You can disable specific USB Flash Drive using Local Group Policy and with the USB ID you just block it.
    3) Or with a third party software.
    4) Using your Antivirus go to Advance settings and set the Antivirus to SCAN anything you Plugin.

6. Saurav Azad

you can always scan the usb drive before opening it .
    or disable automatic open on your system

I have installed Comodo Internet Security Premium (a freeware software), and every time I insert a infected USB pen-drive, it quarantines it and cleans it automatically. I am very satisfied with the performance till date.

8. Erlis Dhima

Go to:
    1. Start
    2. To the search bar type: device manager
    3. when open, scroll down to the usb ports, right click on each of them, and select disable!

Notice, that doing this, you can't use your usb ports for nothing.. Even if you plug in a camera or something else, it will not work!
    If you want to disable only the usb, see ha14 comment..

9. Rich Mc.
  10. Gian Singh

Make Use Of just did an article on that i think, just check the first couple of pages.

11. Imairi

Great site, I love rrrather!