What are the pros/cons of connecting my Hotmail account to Office Outlook?

Denise Mascola January 1, 2015

Is it useful to link a Hotmail account to Microsoft Office Outlook? Are there any possible risks or problems in connecting Hotmail to Outlook?

I’m not asking how to link them, just the pros /cons of doing or not doing it.

I’ve been using Hotmail in the new Outlook format since they converted. I also have the standalone Microsoft Office 2013 on my Windows 8.1 Toshiba laptop with touchscreen. It seems to me that this will help me to manage contacts that are otherwise incomplete between the two platforms. My Hotmail contacts contain mostly email addresses and phone numbers that are separate from my Office Outlook PC program, where contacts have mostly mailing addresses and nothing else.

I just got the new laptop and thought I might link these for the first time ever to improve that contact management. I know I will need to import those contacts from my old PC to the new one once I link Hotmail to Office Outlook.

To restate the question: I’m wondering if there is a downside to adding Hotmail to Office Outlook. Or are there are other advantages that I’m not thinking about?

1. Jessy2014

Nothing risk, however, no matter which email inbox u open, the latest email will appeared as unread. It means although u hv read alrdy in hotmail inbox, it will still shows as unread in outlook.

• Bruce E

If it is configured correctly with either IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync, they will appear the same in both locations. If you read it in one, it will show read in all.

Microsoft kills Hotmail and introduces Outlook.com: A look at the new features
    http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/08/01/microsoft-kills-hotmail-and-introduces-outlook-com/

The only risk I have seen is that Outlook 2013 does not always correctly set up the account as an Exchange ActiveSync connection and will then default to a POP3/SMTP configuration with automatic message deletion from the server. It is better to set it up manually. (The server should be m.hotmail.com and the rest is self-explanatory.)

One of the added benefits is the calendar sync between the two when it is configured as an ActiveSync site.