How do I properly upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7?

Larry December 17, 2011

I will be doing a Windows 7 upgrade on a virgin SSD. Can I point the Windows 7 upgrade to the original XP CD media, or do I have to load XP which will then be over-written. Proper licensing of Windows 7 is more concern. I seem to recall that the 2000 to XP upgrade only required the 2000 media and not a bootable disk.

Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 2010 Suite (Shareware)
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/suu/
    Easily change from Windows® XP/Vista to Windows 7 using Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 2010
    never tried myself, you can contact Paragon before decision if you think the soft will help you.

Hello, There are two ways to go about it.  The first way(why......) is to upgrade XP to vista and then from vista to windows 7. 

The second way is the best option for you.  If you want to upgrade from XP to windows 7, the only way is to do a clean install of windows 7.  It is better this way, because most times upgrades cause problems in the long run and besides all the files for a proper installation are on the disc.  Before you do this, make sure to backup your files to a different harddrive or even better, use the file transfer utility in XP and save it to a flash drive, external drive.  Once windows 7 is installed, connect the flash drive/external drive and use the Easy transfer utility to transfer your files to windows 7.

Also it is very important that you run the windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and run it in your XP system.  This tool will let you know, what programs installed in your system can run on windows 7 with no issues, the ones that have issues, etc.  It will also let you know if you graphics card is compatible with windows 7, and also any other hardware issues that you maybe face.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20