How can I properly set up my Linksys wireless router?

Jeffery November 22, 2011

I have a Linksys wireless G WRT54GS router. I have a static IP. When I plug in the numbers to the router, it won’t connect online. When I put in the numbers to the router it will not connect.

I am not setting something right, I am sure, but don’t know what it is. Can you advise setup.

1. Jeff

Hi Jeffery,

I actually had the wired version of this router. Firstly, your modem cable must connect to the "Internet" port in your router. Then, your router should be able to broadcast a wireless signal. However, you may also connect any computers via a CAT5 cable to the "LAN" or numeric ports on your router. This is very hard to imagine in my head, so I suggest you follow this video tutorial.

Once you've got it all hooked up, go to your CMD (Start -> Run/Search: "cmd.exe") and type the command "ipconfig". This will display a lot of information about your network, look for "Default Gateway" and find the number value for this item. The list can be long, so you may have to scroll up and down in the command prompt to see all of the items (there should only be one gateway with an actual address binded to it). It may look something like 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x. Then with this address, go to your web browser and in the URL bar enter that number in and press enter. This will take you to your router's interface where you may configure the router's settings.

The default username and password should be in the manual or on the CD (if one came with the router). If not, try "Admin" (try all lowercase and all upercase if that doesn't work) as the username and "Password" (again try all lowercase and all upercase if that fails) as the password. The IP Address of your router may also be in the manual or CD.

The first thing you should do is secure your router by applying WPA/2 encryption and enabling your Access Control List (if available). You should change the administrator's password as well, making sure that the password you chose is secure. Tina wrote an excellent article on how to create secure passwords.

If you get caught up, just let me know!
    - Jeff

• Jb

Thanks, I finally got it. The IP/release was what holding me back.

Hello, you might as well follow the linksys tutorial on how to connect router with a static ip address.  Double check the settings you have with the ones they suggest:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&docid=91dbbf0c772e48b9bebee106abb837c9_3979.xml

• Jb

Hello, I am glad you sorted your issue.  Yes ipconfig is a very useful command.  Whenever you loose connection in your router, is one of the surest things to fix it.