How do I properly restore a Gateway branded PC?

Richard May 11, 2011

I have a friend who says that he has trouble with restoring his Gateway computer back to the factory image. He said that he read and looked on Google and still could not seem to find the free Gateway recovery management software that he needs and what he did download will not work on his computer. He also could still not seem to find the link to restore it through hitting F10 when it boots up. Any others ideas or is there something they’re not doing right?

1. Jesse Niou

If I recall correctly it's F8 on startup.
    Also, try another startup disk like BackTrack or Ubuntu live discs, then use recovery software to restore the image (which I assume you have)

No this is the built in Windows restore process. I believe Richard is after the Gateway process, either from specific disks or a hidden partition on the drive. Of course, if he has reinstalled Windows or something it will likely no longer be there.

The better question is - why would you want to? Most computers in their factory state are horribly inefficient and loaded with outdated drivers and crapware. If you do a clean install with Windows 7, you should find the majority of drivers automatically, and you'll end up with a nice, clean system.