How can I promote my website?

Saptashwa Bandyopadhyay March 16, 2011

I have a website: http://science2tech.wordpress.com/

I want to promote it without using the likes of Facebook, Twitter or any such social networking site. I have already sent an email to some of the editors and writers et. al. of MakeUseOf, Engadget and LifeHacker asking (more like requesting) on the same matter.

I haven’t received a reply, and had this idea that I would be directly able to talk with the MakeUseOf people through this question. So please check your inboxes and reply as soon as you can. And others may answer as well to this question.

BTW all the content on my site is written by me, a 15 year old, though it may not seem so.

1. Mauritius Travel

thee are numerous ways to promote your website, you can do social media marketing or through blog comments , you can even do some offline marketing , flyers etc

2. Josh Fox

There are a lot of ways to promote your website. Social media is the most popular way though because of its "social" nature and it's free.

You can also do so by being active on other websites and linking your site in your profile or signature line. My site gets a lot of referrals from my comments on sites like MakeUseOf and forums I participate in. You can also use other online tools like StumbleUpon. When I submitted my site to StumbleUpon, I got over 50 hits from there over the next hour. (Newly "discovered" pages are promoted to the top of the stumble list)

In the past few hours, my site has received a large increase in visitors because I wrote an article that benefited another service. In this case, I wrote an article on using the Wunderlist web application as a desktop application on Linux because there is no Linux version available. They tweeted it and and told me they will be adding a link to their knowledge base as well.

You can even just put keywords in the article, give it a descriptive title, and when search engines see it, it will start showing up in top searches.

Another way is to advertise. It's not difficult to get a gift card of sorts from Google Adwords. Mainly from signing up for website hosting, sometimes even free hosting. I regularly get a card in the mail for $100 of adwords, and there are a lot of people saying it works wonders.

If you switched your comment system to Disqus (like here on MUO, my own site, and many other sites), it will help promote your site even more every time you comment on another that uses Disqus because people can find it easily when they look at your profile by clicking your name or picture in the comments.

I am not at all perfect at promotion, but my site has had a steady increase in traffic just by updating my blog regularly and being active on other sites. I have a feeling that if I used Google Adwords, I would get an even bigger increase in traffic.

Also, if you want to easily monitor the traffic and be able to filter your own visits out, Google Analytics is a great service to do this with. It helps me easily figure out which visitors weren't me by ignoring my browser/OS and location information. Also, Analytics automatically filters out the website's admin if you are logged in. That way, you can't cause a drastic change by refreshing a page 200 times when you're trying to work on the theme or something.

• Saptashwa

Thanks for replying. My website is a bit off-topic, so it's hard to find people to read it sincerely. Did you check out my website (http://www.science2tech.wordpress.com/)? How was it? Was it good? Please reply as I also want some feedback. Thanks again. And you may think that I (a 15 yr old guy) didn't write it all by himself. Whatever you may think everything has been written and though up by myself without any help from anyone.

• Josh Fox

Sorry about the delayed response. I didn't get a notification about your reply. I like the site and the concepts behind it. However, it would probably be a good idea to make the header smaller. It's the "above-the-fold" method originating from newspapers. The information that is shown on screen when the page first loads is the biggest impression you'll make on your visitors. It also looks considerably more refined with the front page display of the articles being shorter. It takes less time and effort to scroll through to see what's been posted.

I thought of another way to promote your site, and I might be able to help with this one. You can give link swapping a try. Sort of an "I'll link to you if you link to me" type of deal. If you would be interested in being linked to from my site, we could arrange something. You can contact me through my website, which is linked in my Disqus profile. You can find how to contact me on the FAQ page, or just use the Submit form. My site doesn't normally have heavy traffic, but it could be a start. You may be able to find other sites willing to do this. There are even some sites dedicated to helping website owners swap links. You can find a good bit of them by searching for "link swap" or "link exchange" or other such phrases.

you can add your site in google

http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

also you can make community pages on facebook and orkut about your site

or you can do ONLINE advertisement

http://www.adsglobe.com/

Congratulations Saptashwa, you just promoted your website. ;)

Why don't you want to use social networks to promote your website? I can understand Facebook in a way, but why not Twitter? It's a super powerful tool and I think you're underestimating its potential. I find it quite surprising that a young guy like yourself does not want to use the networks.

• Saptashwa

Did you check it out? And did you like the posts ("Multitasking in the Brain" & "An interesting article on eyes and 3-D cameras"? BTW they were all thought up and written by me. I guess I really did promote my website (28 views yesterday), though many were made by me using Opera Mini and UC Browser on my PC, to check out the format of the mobile site. Thanks for replying. Please leave comments if you like it and tell the others from MakeUseOf to check out both their inboxes and my website. :-)