How can I promote my new website?

Ross August 21, 2011

I just launched a website called Aimu which I’ve been working on for a while. Basically, it’s a platform that people can use to create their own social network.

I’ve gotten about 4 downloads in a week. Does anyone know of a trustworthy site that might list it, so I can get some more traffic?

Thanks,

Ross

PS: This is an honest question, not self-promotion!

1. Anand

one of the best way to promote a website is 

put My Contact No. details in website , so people can communicate to youhttp://www.mycontactno.com 

I dont know if you got the URL wrong, but it was obvious spam. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this occassion and not ban you for it. 

2. Ross

Thanks for all the advice - I'm working on coming up with a better name, and then following the SEO guidelines.

3. Ross

That's a great idea, thank you. I think I will need to get more traffic before SEO will be effective, because I accidentally chose a name that was already in use by the American Institute of Marine Underwriters. This also leads me to another question - should I change the name now, before I start promoting it?

4. Ross

Yes. I tried to find your URL and all I got was that. Starting a website with one of those vague web 2.0 -esque names is a bad idea unless you've got masses of funding behind you. Why don't you pick a name and domain that represent your service more accurately - that'll give you an immediate bonus to ranking in Google. Here's a few of my own articles that may help you:

- finding expired domains: http://make-money-blogging-ideas.com/2011/find-expired-domains-free-justdropped-com/

- Choosing a domain: http://make-money-blogging-ideas.com/2011/choosing-domain/

- 8 Proven Ways to Make Your Blog Popular: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-strategies-wordpress-blog-popular/

5. MPSINFO

My suggestion is to read blogs and leave comments. Then you will be asked to include your site address. Make your comments constructive and creative so people want to learn more and go to your site. This can also build good network among our like-minded people.

6. Ross

Great, thanks a lot - I'll get started with all of these things.

7. Xoandre Moats

Another way to help promote your website is by using a customized signature when discussing things in Forums or on BBS systems. Also, add a signature to your emails. You can submit it to various search sites, but more often than not it may end up in the mix with millions of other websites similar to yours.

The process is called "Search Engine Optimization" (SEO). Although there are many ways to promote your website, search engines are by far the most effective method. 

Start by asking yourself "What would someone have to type into a search engine to find my site?". You can use tools such as Google Adwords Tool which will help you compile a list of keywords to use. I would then head over to Google's SEO panel to learn more about optimization with Google.

As for advice, I advise that you don't start SEO until your website is complete. Avoid "get #1 listing" schemes, as none of them work. Some search engines still use "Meta", learn more about meta-tag optimization here. One thing you can do is hire an SEO firm to perform optimization for you, this is probably the easiest method. If you do hire a firm or individual to perform optimization for you, be sure that his/her methods are "white hat" or ethical, otherwise you could end up on the wrong side of a listing.

Helpful links:

SEO Tutorial (Webconfs)
    SEO Tutorial (SEOAdministrator) 
    Google Webmaster Guide

Also, I'm afraid we're banned from publishing articles about SEO which would be of great use to reader such as this. Shame.