How can I better promote my Questions and Answers site about Asia?

Mark October 9, 2011

As the title asks ‘How can I better promote my Questions and Answers site about Asia?’

I have a site at ‘http://www.knowledgeofasia.com/questions/’ which is set up with various questions about Asia related topics. Now I need to find people to answer them… so where do I start looking?

I'd be careful with your site. You've got far too many ads right now compared to the "meat" of your page - the answers and questions - that Google is going to rank your content as technically "low quality". And frankly anyone visiting it is likely to simply mark it as spam too. 

Honestly, hold off on all the advertising until you actually have a community of people, because you're never going to get them if you don't - which is a shame, becuase the concept, and the theme itself are quite nice. From a personal point of view, I spent 8 years of my life living in Japan and would probably be a perfect candidate to answer some of your questions, but it looks so spammy I left immediately. Community first, advertising second. I didn't add advertsing to my ipadboardgame.org site until 6 months later, and was getting at least 1000 pageviews a day. I'd suggest you work to that as a rough figure to start. 

2. Mark

Hi Tilman,

That's very nice of you to keep your answer saved! 

The script I used to install the Q&A on the site doesn't allow for anonymous question answering... but I agree with you that I think it is a killer for the site.

Looks like I'll have to do some code re-arranging to make it allow for anonymous comments.

3. Tilman

Hi Mark! I had a look at your website, found a question which I could answer, so I wrote a long text and clicked submit. But then I saw that I have to register for your site in order to post an answer! Sorry but I won't do that!! So, my recommendation: Make it as easy as possible for people to use your site! Use MUO Answers as an example :)

• Tilman

But I have my answer for your site saved, so as soon as I can reply on your site as easily as I can on MUO (see the screenshot attached to my post above), I will post my reply! :)

4. Mark

Wow these are really some great suggestions!

1. Noted about posting random links. I agree it makes it a bit spammy and 'one-way.'
    2. Interaction on the FB page. Noted.
    3. Prizes. Hmm. I've tried that one but my prizes suck due to budget. Although I'll be having a mini solar powered car to win real soon.
    4. Photos. Excellent idea!
    5. Facebook sponsored and gmail text ads. 
    6. MakeUseOf. Just submitted it. Thanks for the tip!
    7. Forums. Great idea.

Thanks guys! That's 7 ideas already that will definitely help!

You can start by submitting your website to MakeUseOf, as I know there is a good percent of users from Asia on here. If MakeUseOf features your website, it will be featured on the Cool Websites and Tools feed. 

Then work on search engine optimization. Try to include keywords such as "Asia" and "Q & A", or other terms relevant to your website. Don't be afraid to browse forums relating to your website and include your website in your signature or reply. You can deceptively answer peoples questions by linking to your website that has already answered the question. 

Actualy, you just promoted it ! :)
    Use social media :
    You have already set up a facebook twitter and rss feeds link. That's good.

keep the interaction with members going on fb page.

have some contests may be with a small prize or even without any prize like fan of the day.
    Add some cool photos of Asia on your page.

when a member will comment or like it, your page will feature on feeds of their friends. in a way they will promote you.

Set a customized landing page on your page.

Use facebook sponsored ads and text ads in gmail.

If your site has some quality content, you can ask popular websites to feature your site.