How can you promote a niche gaming question and answer website?

Kyle Sloderbeck January 19, 2012

I created a website called I Are Noob and have been evaluating different ways to get traffic. I believe it would be a great site for fellow gamers considering the fact that every time I ask Google a question I get the run around.

I have already started some word of mouth and social advertising such as a Facebook fan page and referring all my friends there. Also, I have submitted to as many directories and search engines as possible. Plus, I’m having a contest for the highest contributor and they get a $200.00 capture card. But, to no avail the traffic really isn’t there even with the search engines crawling new questions frequently.

Not sure where to go from here. I keep telling myself it’s “wait” time and I need to do what I can manually while everything works itself out. I just don’t know.

My experience with CPC ads hasn’t really shown me any reason why I would want to pay for advertising but that’s why I am here. Any suggestions would be amazing and I appreciate any and all comments in advance!!!

1. GTA San Andreas

That was good idea to create a site based upon Google answer format. Good one!

2. Payton_vege

Amazing write-up! This could aid plenty of people find out more about this particular issue. Are you keen to integrate video clips coupled with these? It would absolutely help out. Your conclusion was spot on and thanks to you; I probably won’t have to describe everything to my pals. I can simply direct them here!

3. Blah

Please stop giving advice James, a lot of it is nonsense.

Never pay for ads. 

First, share your link. I'll give you an honest critique of your site and suggest some tips to get you ranking better. Nevermind, I found it. http://iarenoob.com/  - cute site, even if you have just used a default Q&A wordpress template. The problem is that you're trying to ranka site with very little content. Q&A sites only work when they actually have users posting answers and helping each other - and without the traffic to support that, you basically have a big list of questions and pages that are 99% identical to each other. Who would link to that content? It's not useful to anyone, and it certainly isn't going to be favored by Google. You need to produce real CONTENT, that people appreciate and link to, and that ranks, AND THEN add a q&A section to the site. Major Q&A sites like Quora are successful because they started with $100,000 marketing budget. You can't do that. 

Second, have you done any steps in terms of SEO? Do you know what keywords you are currently ranking for, and which you were targetting from the start? Or did you just randomly start a website thinking people would come, and try to target every keyword out there? That won't work. 

Third, get rid of the ad block. It's not worth monetizing anything when you don't have any traffic. Wait until you get at least 1000 uniques a day, and then we'll talk about monetization. 

Finally, forget referring friends, they're useless. And forget doing competitions - utter waste of money with so little traffic. 

Did you read my article here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-strategies-wordpress-blog-popular/ ?

You need to go back to the drawing board here, basically. To put it bluntly, a Q&A site is NOT going grow traffic organically. Push the Q&A section to a subfolder, or put it on hold completely, and restart the blog as some useful content - tutorials for Halo? Walkthroughs? That kind of thing. The kind of thing people will *want* to share, will *need* to read for help in whatever game, is *unique*, and *will rank in Google for traffic*. 

Hope that wasn't too harsh, but it saves you the effort in the long run.   

• Johnodoe

"Or did you just randomly start a website thinking people would come, and try to target every keyword out there?"

Keep in mind I made this website a week ago.

Organically, from the search engines I receive around 40 unique visitors a day which around 5% of them register and comment or post. Around 60% of them browse more than a page. < These stats I received this morning.

Big numbers? No, but it's a start and I believe they will grow.

I would post more but i believe my time would be better spent on posting questions and editing my website. I was asking for advice, which you told me to forget about.

James has very good points, The site will not grow the way it is. Sorry, but the truth.The site doesn't have nowhere near the traffic to actually support it, it has 41 pages of mostly unanswered questions... 

Posting your opinion about games, and then have a Q&A where people can post their questions might work in your favor.

If you don't believe anything we say and push forward... It will not hurt us... 

John, you don't get 40 uniques a day from Google, MSN, or Yahoo. I know that for a fact, because none of your pages are indexed by google *yet*. I checked. There are tools to check this kind of thing, you know. Here's an easy one for you to use: http://ismysiteindexed.com

Your 40 uniques are probably coming from your friends and social share links, as well as possibly some exisiting links on sites from 4 years ago I found, when you're domain was something else completely. That's fine too, but I'm just saying. You're not indexed, and you're not going to rank that site, because you're trying to cover such a broad topic range whilst being an expert on none of them. Unless your question provide *unique* content that cannot be found anywhere else, you won't rank for them. Sites such as dedicated Wii forums and nintendo sites for the game will rank for that particular game. The only keyword you will ever rank for is the long-tail of the question itself, which will have very little traffic. You are dooming yourself to failure, I'm sorry. 

I'm sorry you choose not to heed my advice, because I've done this a hundred times more than you have, and failed just as many. Failure makes us learn. 

I can see you're motivated and driven to succeed, and that's a great quality to have. Hopefully you'll learn from your failure this time and try again, like I did. If you choose to ignore all my advice, then go ahead, but at least, please go read a little about SEO.

For your reference:
        Index Info For: iarenoob.com Alexa Rank: 24,561,746 Quantcast Rank: 0 Compete Rank: 0 PageRank: Backlinks: 0 Google Indexed Pages: 0 Google Indexed Images: 0 Yahoo Indexed Pages: 0 Live Indexed Pages: 0 Dmoz Listing: No Site Age: 3 weeks

• Johndoe

Let's try this again. I must be a liar. I do not have stats from 2 days ago because I cleared them out. This is good enough because I don't even know what the internet is. Thanks for the motivation by the way, at least I can take something from this "simple" yet unanswered question.

• Johndoe

Do me a solid and Google [ site:iarenoob.com ] I guess the index didn't pick up on those 75 pages worth of info.

My bad, I guess those indexes don't update as fast as I'd like. Apologies. 

I wish you luck in this venture. I tried to give some honest advice, but that's ok if you don't agree.  

In fairness, if you're getting that much traffic after just a week, you probably shouldn't be too worried yet. Post back after 6 months and we'll talk again!

• Slodds

Been over 6 months and I cannot release exact traffic stats but it is over 1000+ a day on unique questions.

Still trying to get the viewers to get involved in forums but they seem to like asking / anwering questions more which is fine by me, I might scrap the forum deal.