What programs are necessary for Windows launch?

Vampire July 19, 2011

I want to be able to make my laptop start faster. I have a bunch of programs starting when the laptop does. What programs must I keep running so that the laptop can start and I do not have to wait ten minutes every time I reboot?

1. Techieprince

ccleaner is a good application software that you can use.

TRy Soluto and see what will advise to you to speed booting process
    http://www.soluto.com/

Agree with ha14 here, Vampire. Soluto is fantastic, and breaks down exactly what is launching, as well as showing the slowest culprits with easy to understand crowd-sourced info on what they are for. 

I would strongly advise agaist opening msconfig and messing around unless you want your computer to just not boot at all. Play it safe with Soluto. 

(alternatively, reinstall windnows, that's always fun!)

It'd be easier to answer this if you would specify what version of Windows you are running (XP, Vista, 7) and its edition, and the latest service pack installed.  If you want a detailed list that pertains to your particular setup, you could include a list of all services listed in the Services tab of msconfig that have a status of Running.

If you have a multi-core processor, you can go to the Boot tab of msconfig and click on the Advanced Options button, then tick the checkbox for Number of Processors and use the drop-down box to select the highest number available (automatically detects the number of cores so you can't go over the limit).  This will sometimes shave some time off of the boot.

Hello, try to keep only antivirus/firewall on the startup.  Be very careful when unchecking  entries using msconfig.  If you see items on your startup like itunes, quickplayer, adobe acrobat, java, etc., it is safe to disable them for startup.

Go to start -> run/search and type "msconfig" without quotes. Then go to the "startup" tab and you can safely disable all of the items there. The operating system is not dependent on any of these applications to start up, although other features such as audio or 3D acceleration may be effected.

Do research on the items names and see if you need it.