Why do almost all programs I start in Windows 7 not respond?
Question by Xoandre /

Nearly every program I start in Windows 7 opens and then immediately enters a not responding mode, indicated by a note “(Not Responding)” in the title bar just to the right of the program name.

I have re-installed Windows 7 several times and it still occurs. I have removed my antivirus software (AVG) and replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials and it still happens. This  step was suggested in the MS Help forums.

Is there a specific cause to this that is able to be fixed?

I have all updates and patches to all software. I have all drivers and BIOS up to date. Even my father-in-law who is an MCSE has no clue what is causing this problem!

• Xoandre Moats

UPDATE: after finally not having the “NOT RESPONDING” problem for several months, suddenly it is BACK with a vengeance…   Even while typing this comment I have experienced Firefox going into NOT RESPONDING mode for over 2 minutes without any option except to wait or reboot the browser by crashing it forcefully from Task manager.

I have tried setting Firefox to HIGH priority in Task manager, but that only shortens the NOT RESPONDING bug from 2 minutes down to a few seconds. IT STILL HAPPENS!

I will note that this problem only re-surged to an every-few-minutes occurrence with the latest forced Win7 SP update. how annoying!

IDK what caused it to end before or what exactly caused it to start up again.

I have not changed anything except the occasional Firefox update and Win7 update.

I plan to upgrade my computer some time around the holidays this year, but in the mean time, my wife’s computer, which has LESS RAM and a SMALLER hard drive, but all the same stuff from the same manufacturer — her father — is twice as fast as mine… This is getting annoying.

Oh, and for those who want me to switch to Linux or Mac, you can go jump in a lake and take your computer with ya, cuz those OS’s are just too weird to switch to… Even a DOS programmer who has never seen WINDOWS before would hesitate to switch from WIN7 to any MAC or Linux system — in my opinion.

Sorry — too much caffeine…

Thanks for the update, Xoandre.
      The original question was posted quite a while ago and doesn’t get a lot of attention anymore. So if you expect some more help, I suggest that you post a new question.

• Dabyd Kavrera

Let me put it this way
    Winblow$ = Therapy. Linux(any Flavor) = The therapist,

Ok you will not have NFS, Far Cry, Halo but you can get a Xbox, so far the *only* MS product am *happy* whit. worried about photoshop office and a couple others try crossover.

Btw to avoid your problem repair your registry, in my experience it will have something to be wht your registry try regcleaner, reginout, ccleanner its up to you or use all, if the problem persist make a bootable usb stick and install linux on it start from the stick and run a memory test if you need more info on how to do that ask google :)

Disculpen mi ingles pero estoy aprendiendo…

• Kt Rajasekar

u may check your system it had any malwares ..!!

if u r using an pirated copy, the Dvd May have inflected . Check that, !!

• Magicrx8

Since you’ve done the re-install I would lean toward it being a memory issue. If you have two memory sticks – remove one of them and run the system for awhile then swap to the other stick. Also another thing to check is the Reliability Monitor – just type Reliability in the search box and hit enter – in some cases it will show you the problem and even give you a link to the potential fixes. Lastly, if you do another re-install make sure to remove the partition and format it. You could very well have bad sectors on the drive. Hope that helps!

• Andy Rhodes

I used windows 7 today for the first time today on a new laptop and this happened right away, very frustrating! I had a look at task manager and all fine. I will try the laptop tips shown above!

• Arjun Bajaj

hey… its windows…..windows is made not to work….if u wanna live ur life peacefully use ubuntu or any other linux derivative… windows is an os designed to irritate you to the extreme…..ubuntu rocks….

and BTW it could be your ram problem also….
    or it could be some hdd fault
    so go to : dban.org
    download the iso
    burn it
    boot it
    wipe your entire hdd
    then reinstall windows 7

and is the windows 7 u r using pirated or its original????
    if its pirated it freaks u out….u better switch to ubuntu…

if it is original then keep updating your system….

thats it…wipe ur hdd and reinstall or better switch to ubuntu…..
    :D :D :D :D :D
    Arjun Bajaj

• Xoandre

I have an original legitimate installation of Win7.

Before trying Win7, I did try UBUNTU. I gave it 2 weeks of attempts to use UBUNTU and the weird file extensions and lack of usability made me switch over to WIN7.

Linux has a very STEEP learning curve and for someone who lacks the desire to re-learn how to use everything, I gave up on UBUNTU. The same can be said of Microsoft Office with the RIBBON toolbar. HATE that. The moment i saw that MS had completely EFFED UP the toolbars in Office, I downloaded Open Office and have used that ever since.

• Celeste

My first question is how much RAM is installed in Xoandre’s PC? Windows 7 needs a lot of RAM. I saw this same behavior on a PC that someone had upgraded to Windows 7 without adding more RAM. Windows 7 won’t allow apps to run if you have less than 1 MB of RAM.

• Xoandre

I have the maximum of 3gb RAM which is all that Win7 32 bit allows.

I don’t think it’s a RAM issue. Lack of RAM would have an ongoing effect on programs not just at startup.

• M.S. Smith

The above suggestions are good. If they don’t work, it may be a hardware issue. I’d start with the Hard Drive and RAM and work from there.

You could also try NOT installing all patches and updates. Perhaps one of the items being installed is causing the problem.

• Madan Kumar PC

It might be some other program cramping up your system resources. After you open up windows 7 , monitor the task manager for some unknown program that eats up your RAM. find out where the program is using explorer and remove it.

Worked for me… sometime earlier when i had the same problem :-)
    Worth a try..

• Xoandre

The only program ever running that takes up significant RAM is Firefox. And this occurs when absolutely nothing else is running. Even windows explorer shows the NOT RESPONDING on occasion.

Are you the administrator.The best would be reformat and reinstal again, because if you just reinstal then windows will create windows.old folder. If you have it then delete it.Did you checked your ram, also try to go to run then type cmd and then sfc / scannow.If you can list your installed applications then will help.

if its a laptop

1. Turn Off the Laptop.
    2. Disconnect all the external devices and AC power adaptor.
    3. Turn the laptop upside down.
    4. You will find a long compartment in the upper side of the laptop.
    5. Slide the latches beside the battery compartment. This would open the battery compartment door and battery would pop up.
    6. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
    7. Press and hold the Turn ON button for 60Seconds (to remove static electricity).
    8. Place the battery back in to the battery compartment and close the compartment door.
    9. Please connect the Ac adaptor.

you should also inform if the windows is 32 or 64bits, dont forget to update your BIOS.

go to t to device manager and uninstall all of the SATA drivers. After rebooting, Windows will “found new hardware”, and reinstall HDD.

Alternatively instal whocrashed