Which programs can I safely remove from my Windows XP operating system?
Question by Logan Badger /

Is it safe to remove some of these programs from my Windows XP operating system
or do I need all of them?

Microsoft Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack-182.00 MB

Microsoft Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 207.00 MB

Microsoft Net Framework 3.5 SPI

Microsoft Net Framework 4 Client Profile 117.00 MB

Microsoft Net Framework 4 Extended 38.04 MB

Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP

Windows Live Essentials ………..

Also I have Gimp and VLC Media Player, do I need both?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , .
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac OS X & Software
Mac Switchers
Mac Switchers

• Darryl_gittins

Don’t even breath on your .net installations, or you will suffer a thousand deaths by the heat of a thousand suns. Just don’t do it.

• Madogk

IMHO I wouldnt remove any off the listed appz, there worthy of disc space!

If you dont know how to use gimp learn or uninstall! if you dont chat get rid of essentials. but i doubt thats the case…

• Joffe Family

If you’re just trying to save space on the hard disc, try Wise Disc Cleaner, which has several very effective options.

you can remove games, demos…in order to gain space if this is what you want. Microsoft products are needed for the operating system, some soft needs .net framework to work and that version is not on windows upon install the soft will ask to download .net framework.

As mentioned in here the .NET Frameworks are used by or necessary for certain applications to run. Unless you are sure you don’t need them you shouldn’t touch them. Otherwise you may break the functionality of certain applications.
    The same goes for Microsoft Visual C++, Microsoft Visual Basic, etc. frameworks.

I’m not sure about the Compression Client Pack but my guess is that it was installed along with one of the programs on your computer. So basically the above applies.

As for Windows Live Essentials ~ well, you will have to know yourself whether you need them or not. In details these are apps like Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger, Windows Live Writer, Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, etc…

Gimp is an open source graphics program wherein VLC Media Player is an open source media player hence one doesn’t replace the other.
    If you need them or not you will also have to answer yourself…