What programs are safe to delete in Windows?

tweep March 22, 2011

I’ve noticed that in the “Add or Remove Programs” screen, there’s lots of stuff that I have no idea what it is. I really want to free up my hard drive, so what is safe to delete/uninstall? Here’s a screenshot.

I just need Google Chrome, The Sims 2, Microsoft Word, and the antivirus program I’m downloading right now. I’m also gonna try to uninstall Jolicloud, but it always says something about insufficient space.

1. Frederick360keehn

so what happens if you can remove the .net files

• Oron Joffe

Software that requires .NET will stop working. Other software will not be affected.

Well, you can get rid of Jolicloud (a version of Linux) for starters. Depending on what security software you use, you can get rid of McAfee, Norton, or both if you're installing something else. Assuming you've not forgotten to mention any other software you use, you can also remove all the .NET packages.
    Since your'e using Word, make sure to keep Microsoft Office XP Pro but you can remove the Publisher 2007 trial. If you don't work in Arabic, then you can get rid of the MS Arabic Language pack (it adds support for Office for editing Arabic, as well as for the menus).

• Danyah Al Mailam

Alright, thanks!
      What do those .NET packages do anyway?

• Oron Joffe

You're welcome! .NET is a framework that allows programmers to develop software quickly and to 'tie it in' easily to software written in other languages. It's used by some software, but is nowhere near as popular as Microsoft had obviously intended it to be. There's only one software on my PC (CDBurnerXP) which uses it...