Why do programs on my computer which require internet access take so long to start up?

Tom C September 19, 2014

Got a crazy one. If an application or program such as Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird, uTorrent or iTunes needs to go online to get its info, it takes 10 or more minutes to open. Once open, they work fine. Other programs such as Photoshop, Explorer or ones that do not need web access open in seconds as normal. I have cleared caches, system files etc and even uninstalled/reinstalled programs but it makes no difference. Any solutions without a total restore?

I have a Windows 7 system that is running as close to 24/7 as it can, but it has network issues after it has been up for a few days. It is resolved by rebooting the machine at least once per week, often more frequently than that. The longer it has been since I have done a complete rebuild on the machine, the more frequently it needs to be rebooted. It has been about 7 months since the last rebuild and I am currently rebooting the system every 5 days. I expect it to only be a couple more weeks before I am rebooting every 3 days. By mid-November, I will be rebuilding the machine again and will go back to about 2 weeks between reboots.

• Tom C

I am turn the PC off every night person which also includes the router and removal of the cord from the mains power point so this doesn't come into play.

• Oron J

My original thought regarding your problem was that it might have to do with slow DNS servers, although I couldn't quite see how this would come about. However, you may have answered your own question here. Broadband routers are meant to stay on 24/7, particularly if they're ADSL. They build up speed over time, and every reset (including shutting down for the night) slows them down significantly. It then takes time (and traffic) for speed to build up again. My suggestion is: time the startup time for those applications now. Leave the router on for a week and time them again and see if it helps.

it can be your antimalware doing this

try to reset router

what your task manager saying any suspicious application

• Tom C

Hi Hovsep. Have disabled all security software, run antimalware progs twice, rebooted router & PC number of times and have gone through every process and service thoroughly and all check out. Have deleted then reinstalled ethernet drivers and checked updates. Slowdown started after windows updates last Tuesday but I havent seen any problems on web from these and have also rolled back the 5 WU updates with no success. Looks like a full restore?

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en

if you go to windows update do you see any failed update?