What are the best programming languages to learn for developing mobile apps?

Chris September 19, 2011

What are the best programming languages to learn for developing iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and Android apps?

You can use any compiled language for iPod, iTouch and iPad. Android Apps are mostly developed in Java.  

iOS Development is in Objective-C

• Jeffery Fabish

Which is a compiled language. 

Pascal and Delphi are compiled languages too yet you won't get them working on your iOS device. Therefor you cannot use any compiled language if you want to develop for iOS.

• Jeffery Fabish

Except you're wrong. Please read Developing with Objective Pascal and freepascal wiki. You can most certainly write Delphi apps using XE2.

I stand corrected then :-)
          Personally I only knew about the Adobe AIR to iOS development ~ haven't checked whether those tools are fully public already.

I guess for cross-platform development those methods are beneficial (except for the price tag on XE2). Unfortunately Xcode and therefor a Mac is still required (in addition to an iOS Dev subscription) to get the proper certification and your App into the store.

iOS Development is in Objective-C

Thank you for recommendations.

I'm completely new to programming, and don't know any programming languages.

Which programming languages would you suggest for a beginner like me that's getting started in app development?

• Jeffery Fabish

Python is the best language to start if you're concerned about learning good programming habits. If you learn a language such as Visual Basic, which is easy, you'll develop very bad habits which are hard to break. 

From Python, other OOPL should be easier.