What programming language should I use for Linux?

Mitesh Budhabhatti April 3, 2012

Can you please tell me what programming language I should use for Linux? I heard that Python is used generally to do the development in Linux Mint.

1. Jonathan Oei

A good text-only scripting language for the Linux operating system would be Bash.

If you are looking for interpreted cross-platform compatibility, then Python would probably be best, since some Linux systems like Ubuntu have bindings for Python.

If you are looking for a compiled language instead, the best would be either C or C++.

A further note on compiled languages: If you are planning on coding Graphical User Interfaces (GUI), then C++ would probably be best, since an excellent toolkit (primarily used in the K Desktop Environment), Qt, is based on that language. However, if you are using the Gnome desktop environment, you may want to learn C, since Gnome primarily uses GTK as its primary toolkit, which is itself based on C.

On the other hand, if you are looking for an interpreted language with a GUI, then Python is probably best, since it has bindings for both Qt and GTK.

2. isabellefloyd

Indeed, python would be a good place to start. But C/C++, Perl, o'caml or Lisp can also be used, along with a cornucopia of other languages. It really depends on what you are going to use it for.

3. Shehan Nirmal

python and perl are the programming languages used to create the Linux platform OSs... I think it is wiser to use python as your language...

As a "starter" I would also go with Python.

5. geqo

Linux is compatible with a lot of different programming languages, and has development environments for most of them. A better way to decide would be to think about what you want to do with your programming - do you want to make scripts, browser applets, linux software, etc. If you're just getting into programming (and maybe just want programming experience in general) I would recommend Python or C++, as both are very useful and not too hard to learn.