What programming language should I learn to start a career as a developer?

Vinayaka Sharma July 9, 2012

I want to know the best programming language to start with for apps and software developer. I would like to have a career in this field. Where do I begin?

1. KyledProgrammer

I actually learned these things myself, with my friends...
    well, actualy, it's not a should, it's a could
    First rule, don't rush, even HTML can't be learned in a day. So do, programming languages.
    Second rule, it depends on what you will create.
    Third rule, to become a programmer, you must know the meaning of EVERY LANGUAGE, its A MUST. You should even the smallest type of language.
    I recommend you to tell us, what do you want to make.

2. Ryan Dube

I'd suggest Bruce's link too - he offered some great advice there. I will assume that you're talking about desktop software development, in which case I'd say VB/.Net is a good place to start, mostly because I think it's more intuitive and easier to learn than most other languages. However C is the typical starting point if you were to take a college curriculum.

I would suggest to start with one language that teaches you the core elements of most programming languages out there - the types of loops, if/then conditional statements, operators (a little different from language to language), how to handle calculations and logical operations, etc... Once you learn the core structure of how programming languages are written, you will have no problem picking up other languages. For the most part, they are all built upon the same logical flow.

Good luck - it's a great field to get into.

3. ferdinan Sitohang

actually, it depends in what field of programming language do you want to involve, there are 3 option, first is desktop app, second is web app, third is mobile app. Whatever you choose it is the best for you. For what i can say is for now web programming is the one that has a fast enhancement and requirements. PHP, XML, but the necessary to understand about MVC is the most required skill and knowledge right now. If you understand MVC, you can implemented it well in to other programming language.

5. Shane La Horie

If you have a choice of learning programming languages i would suggest PHP / MySql and Java Script for web programming as the majority of websites on the net use PHP/MySql.

You can check the following link for more info on web programming languages.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/programming-language-learn-web-programming/

Or for software programming i think the best are C++ or C#.

You can check the following link for more info on software programming languages.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/programming-language-learn-software-development/