What programming language is used to make behavior recognition software?

shaurya gupta September 8, 2012

I was reading an article that described about Synapse by Mark Zuckerburg. It is/was an intelligent software that could give suggestions to the user about new music based upon the earlier music in the library of the user. How are these sort of things made and can these be made just using a high level language like c++.

1. Noah Brisson

Anything you want to make can be written in any language. Some are just easier than others to do certain things. Personally if I was writing something like this I would personally use Java. Simply because it works on any operating system so if you wanted to use it on different computers you wouldn't have to make multiple versions.

2. Daniel Barnhart

C and C++ are extremely expansive languages. Anything that can be written in any language, can be made into C or C++ code. The difficult part is breaking down the problem into what you want.

For what you are talking about, it most likely characterizes each song by artist, genre, speed, beat, frequency, etc. and then creates trends from the past music and what they liked. This will allow the program to breakdown what about the music the user likes, and then look for similar songs in a database (local or remote).

3. muotechguy

I'm guessing they're made using neural networks. Basically, you create a list of songs, and every song has a connection to every other song. To train the system, you input one song that the user likes, and set the outputs to the other songs they like; you then weight those connections slightly, strengthening them. Continue for millions of songs and users. Eventually, you can input one song, and the neural net will have learnt which other songs you are most likely to enjoy.

I believe you can make neural nets in c++, certainly. You';ll have to look that up yourself though.

4. Erlis Dhima

I think it's not that simple thing!
    Maybe there are different programming languages combined!
    What that software do is: Read your browsing history, converts every title (or genre, artist etc) into a keyword, and than search for related songs based on this keywords!
    It's not a simple thing, but very complicated!