Is there a program to have my vacation days approved and updated via the network?

Simon January 12, 2011

I worked in a company 10 years ago that used Lotus notes. There was a function whereby it displayed your remaining vacation days and you could select the days you wanted to take as vacation days. A notification would go to my manager who would approve or decline the request, and the system would update my remaining days or allow me to claim additional days for extra hours worked. Both my and my manager’s calendars would then update to flag the upcoming absence.

Now, 10 years later I work in a place where it is back to paper requests on leave sheet, waiting for a signature from my manager to sign-off the dates and it drives me crazy! We use Google Calendar in the office, but just not in this way.

Does anyone know of a website or add-on that would perform this function?

1. Richard

In our company we use a SAAS from HR Webworx. Works quite well but no idea about the license costs

Our workplace uses commonoffice.com

3. Simon

Thanks Oron. I don't know why it should be this complicated! Maybe I'll look into Google Apps for more options.

This is not a built-in feature of any off-the-shelf package I've come across (I have looked into this in the past). There *are* systems which will do this, such as Liquid Office (http://www.cardiff.com/products/liquidoffice/), but these are big 'MIS'-type systems that cost a lot and typically require a team of programmers and maintainers to keep them going.
    At my last place of work, we used a simple system of forms produced in Word, which we would email to request leave, and the secretaries kept track of leave requested on spreadsheets we could access. It was a kludge, but it worked, and it beat paper!