How can I program software for my own personal use?

Iori May 4, 2011

I want to make my own software, which I personally use. On the internet I saw there is good software developed by people and also provided to us and like this. I also need to make that type of software for general use only.

1. Iori

Thanks for your comments.

2. Saikat Basu

There are also lots of options available for the guy who does not know too much of coding. I am not sure how great these are, but they can serve a limited purpose or at least a curiosity value.

For instance, you can use Stencyl to create Flash games.

You can use AppMakr to make your own iPhone apps.

Zoho Creator(free and not free) for custom data applications.

There's also a sofware from Instantexe.com which again has free and commercial plans.

But the best way is to learn coding in your area of interest and start from there.

3. Al Berman

Lori, programming is a very complex skill, which will likely take you a long time to master. There are also hundreds of different programming languages out there, each suited to a different type of applications. Are you looking to build a web based application? A Windows application? Something that will run on multiple Operating Systems? What will the software do?

More and more software developers are choosing to create web based applications because it allows for almost everyone on every operating system to use their software.

Some of the most popular web development programming languages are:

Python (python.org)
    Ruby (ruby-lang.org)
    PHP (php.net)
    Java (this one also works on desktop stuff pretty well)

If you're looking to program something more traditional/desktop oriented, you could try:

C++
    C#
    Java