Can processors be hooked together in a series to create more speed?

Gary Morse January 21, 2011

I know how batteries, i.e. car, truck or whatever are hooked together to create more voltage to operate the electrical system of said vehicle. Why can’t the processors be hooked in a series to create more speed for computer?

From what little I know about computers, only so much information can be fed to hard drive, through what had been explained to me, similar to a water hose, depending on diameter of hose, only so much water can flow through, therefore only so much exits hose in volume and velocity. Therefore, what ever gateway there is, has to be increased to a larger size to handle more volume, and velocity of speed to hard drive. Hopefully this makes some sense. Simply stack chips and hook wires in tandom to boost speed.

I’m sure that smart people such as yourselves have thought about every trick in the book and tried some that weren’t. What I know about computers wouldn’t hardly make the ‘T’ in Tech. Like someone once said, my knowledge could be placed on the point of stick pin and have room left for the info in the world.

Processor is not only the variable, you have to think the computer as a whole, partners they are, all components must to fit together and all must go to speed such as the hard drive where reading and writting is done, RAM to cycle infos and of course the processor as the brain. Dont forget every little chipset on the motherboard. The bigger the processor the better and also application should be written to take advantage of the big processor.

This makes for some interesting reading:

http://www.physorg.com/news148749271.html

The short answer: Yes.
    The long answer: Depends on your setup and what you want to do with them.

For example there are mainboards and server systems which allow you to put 2 or even more together (e.g. Intel Skulltrail, other Multi-CPU platforms, Blade Server).

If you are talking about hooking various computers together the keywords are "Computer cluster", "Distributed computing" and "Grid computing".

Depending on what you are planning to do with them one technology might be better than the others. Or maybe there won't be any benefit using any of these techniques since the process isn't optimized for it.