Why are there still problems with the MakeUseOf website?

James April 18, 2011

I have been reading MakeUseOf of for over a year now. Since your big website theme change I have noticed a few problems.

-SLOW, OH SO SLOW. I have tested my internet at 1mb/s. It should not be that slow.

-When I use the search bar up top it will, eventually, show the results. Then after 10 or so seconds the page will refresh and be blank.

I use IE9. Just trying to raise awareness of this problem if I am not the only one.

Has anyone else had these issues?

1. Moods

This is one of my favorite sites and it is essentially dead.  I have tried 3 browser - IE, Firefox & Chrome.  I am not even able to get to the contact page - ERROR.

Ugh, what is happening makeuseof???

Go back to the old theme while you troubleshoot this theme's issues.

Hey Moods,

We had a hige server issues yesterday and the site was barely responsive while we wroking on the problem. The things are back to normal now. Sorry about that. We are working very hard to prevent this happening in the future.

Aibek

2. Fattcak

i have the same issues as james, refreshing to a blank page, and oh so slow! should not have to wait that long for a blank page.....lol IE 8 The best non usable website on the web

This is still happening? Like right now as well? MakeUseOf has been loading fine for me over the past couple of weeks. There should be no more permanent issues, although it has been known to happen temporarily, for example when an article is extremely popular and drives a lot of traffic to the site.

Oh, there are a boatload of problems with this site. Overall speed is probably the biggest one. It takes several minutes on my broadband connection to load all 400+ elements of every damn page. Makes it look like every character is an individual element to be loaded. I've opened gallery pages with over 500 thumbnails plus all their advertising and banners in about 20 to 30 seconds. Too much crap burying any potential real content. Gotta use Firefox and NoScript to strip the majority of the crap out of there so I can actually browse the site in a reasonable amount of time.

4. Simone

I was having the same problem viewing this website and using the search bar. I thought it was just my computer running slow. My computer usually slows down if I try to do too much at once. At first the website was taking so long to load that I gave up on viewing it for a couple of days. But, I came back. I just can't stay away from makeuseof. Now I don't have so much of a problem it still runs slow sometimes just not as slow. I've learned to have patience.

5. Roy

I do notice the slowness, but no other issues. I'm using Firefox 4.

Since the topic is open I want to report some rendering problem with the Chrome Beta Channel (11.0.696.50) http://cl.ly/1F3e3I3e1q3r1f0B0Y32

Screenshot was done in incognito window so it's not a problem with any extension.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for heads up. We are aware of the issue but so far not able to
      locate that bit of
      code responsible for this. it looks fine on most of the setups.

Aibek

7. Lady

I am trying to figure out why the website does not work on mobify any more? It ussed to work but a month ago, I could mot access the site any more. It wont show the mobile verson on my LG Lotus Elite. Any suggestions?

8. Melvin

I use Chrome and haven't had any problems.

James,

thanks a lot for your feedback!

For now, let me say that the transition that you saw visually with the launch of the new theme a month ago is not completely finished, yet. We are definitely hoping to make the website faster overall.

Personally, I didn't realize a dip in speed, quite the contrary actually. Moreover, I can not reproduce your error with the search bar in Firefox 4 or Chrome 10, but I do see the same thing happening in Internet Explorer 9. As my IE9 installation is completely virgin, I have to assume that it's an intrinsic problem with that browser.

While this may also be a problem on our end that we have to sort out (!), I can not help but recommend you to use a browser that is compliant with current web standards, such as Firefox 4, regardless of what is causing this issue.