Problems with Microsoft Outlook after downloading Bit Defender

JOE LUBESKIE February 1, 2010

I seem to be having a problem loading Explorer since I downloaded “Bit Defender” on my computer.

What can I do when I get a message that send/receive has timed out?

Each Firewall has setting to white-list certain programs, you might want to add Outlook (its main .exe file) to that list.

It appears that the Firewall in Bit Defender has blocked your email. Outlook is trying to contact the outside world, and BD is interrupting, leading to a timeout. To prove a point, try disabling the Firewall in BD, then test Outlook. If Outlook works, it's the Firewall.

First check all your account settings in Outlook - especially POP/SMTP server settings. Then check the Firewall settings in BD. Make sure it allows traffic for MS Outlook. Alas, I don't know BD well enough to give more detailed instructions, but I hope I've pointed you in the right direction.

Explorer? Is that Internet Explorer? And send/receive I assume is email, but you don't say what email you are using (webmail like Yahoo, Hotmail etc. OR an email program like Outlook Express, Thunderbird).
    Need more info!

YES - I AM REFERRING TO EMAIL - I USE MICROSOFT OUTLOOK - FIREFOX AS A BROWSER - THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP THAT YOU CAN AFFORD ME