Why is there a problem with my Toshiba Satellite A505 cooling system?
Question by The Lost KING /

Sometimes when I am using my Toshiba Satellite A505 running Windows 7, an error message appears that says:

‘Problem in your cooling system, please shut your computer immediately and return it to service’

It only happens when I put computer to sleep then turn it on.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Smayonak

Sleep states have always been one of the most troubled implementations in laptops. While we have seen substantial improvement in Win7 over XP, there is still quite a bit left to be desired.

There are only four fixes I’m aware of:

1. make sure your ACPI drivers are the latest by going to Windows Update. A lot of computer enthusiasts will accidentally remove the ACPI modules, believing it to be chaff – which unfortunately interferes with proper hibernate and sleep function.

A commonly misunderstood feature of Windows Update would be its “optional drivers” vs its important drivers. You should look at both and specifically install anything mentioning “power management”, “ACPI” and the important updates, since they are, after all, important. But be aware that some of these updates may not pertain to you and in rare cases may actually cause system instability.

Please visit the Toshiba support website and make sure you have the correct power management utilities installed. These contribute to proper function, as well.

2. Check your BIOS settings: see if the proper sleep states have been enabled. There are several kinds of sleep states and it’s possible not all of them have been enabled. Look for terms like S1, S2 and so on. And enable them all if they are disabled.

3. Try using Hibernate rather than Sleep (or hybrid sleep in the case of Windows 7). Hibernate is a more reliable process in Windows 7 than sleep on average and in many ways is preferable to hybrid sleep. The biggest advantage is you never have to worry about toasting your system by accident (yes this does happen quite often).

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-enable-hibernate-option-in-windows-7/

4. If the first three steps fail to resolve the issue, then your options are more limited. As a final resort, I would try the nuclear option of DriverEasy and just updating all drivers. However, be aware that this has the risk of Blue screening your machine, since it will sometimes install the wrong drivers by accident.

http://www.drivereasy.com/

• Jonathan Mould

Do you have warranty? Take it back to where you bought it or a computer repair shop. As it says “return it to service”