What is the problem with my keyboard?

Garynull August 1, 2010

All of a sudden I cannot type the letter “O” or the number “9” on one of my computers. Do I have some type of virus or a bad keyboard?

1. rahman

the numlock pad is not working it is working like a mouse by the arrows keys 8,4,6,2&5 as
    click

Do you have to right keyboard settings setup in Control Panel?

3. Toasty Ohs

You should try attaching the keyboard to another pc to see if the issue follows. If it does, then you should try cleaning the keyboard with compressed air or replacing it.

I would replace with an IBM Model M keyboard, only the best keyboard ever made.

4. S. Mayonak

I had a nearly identical issue a while ago with a mini Keyboard that came with an Acer RevoAspire. I connected the keyboard to different computers and the problem remained. Since it shouldn't be capable of sustaining a software problem across computers, I reasoned that the keyboard was problem and tossed it.

On the other hand, sometimes hijack viruses will rewrite your keystrokes. You'd get dead keys and in other instances, keys that active strange macros. Your problem just sounds like a damaged keyboard though.

5. Jasmine

Maybe he was using a different keyboard or computer...

6. Raj

hey how did u type the letter "o" and the number "9"

indeed :-)

Problem is between keyboard and chair ]:oD
    sry but your problem sounds like joke, reminds me of when my staff asked whether the password is with small or big numbers >:o)

8. hanseled

i think its just a button you push that changed the keys,
    like NumLock
    for me its the [FN] plus this button with a picture of a lock and a number,
    which i guess is NumLock also
    just experiment with you buttons on your keyboar

9. Vincois

Does any character display when you press the O or 9 key? Are there any other keys in that area of the keyboard that don't work? If you are typing on a laptop or a small keyboard sometimes they have a numlock that is activated by the "Fn" key. Depending on the answer to the first two questions that could be the issue.

10. Tg7970

The keys work. I have removed them and put them back on and that didn't help. I'm going to try connecting a new keyboard today. Thanks.

Gary,

it sounds like a hardware problem, I don't think it's malware.

Do these keys still work (physically) normal or do they seem stuck or otherwise different? You could try to remove the keys and partly disassemble your keyboard to clean it. Sometimes particles or dust get under the keys and prevent them from working.