What is the privacy impact of the Facebook widgets?

Andrei June 18, 2011

Most sites that matter seem to have one social tool or another from Facebook.

What info could these tools gather and what info are they known to gather?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/theweek/20110520/cm_theweek/215546
    read this details.
    yes they r tracking browsing history if you dont logout facebook or such sites.
    according to these sites they store this info for a particular period of time and then delete them, they do it  for targeted ads.
    they can be stopped but...
    for me it does not matter if they read my history.

Your name, profile picture, gender, networks, friends and the pages that you "like". I also glanced at the Facebook API (when I was going to develop a widget) and it allows you to read from the Facebook.Info(user), which is your "info" tab (school, employers, religion, political views, quotes, email).

This stuff is only available if your privacy settings are nonrestrictive, which I think are default. Pretty much, do research on widgets before you install them. Remove widgets you no longer use and be sure to heighten your privacy settings.

3. Saikat Basu

The best answer that you can possibly read lies here in this article. It's not only the Facebook widget, but other social widgets too.In particular, note the reference to the Wall Street Journal article. But if there are privacy concerns, there are also ways to circumvent them with add-ons and safe browsing.

Also, check out our very own - The (Very) Unofficial Facebook Privacy Guide