How can I print wirelessly from my PC on my Epson Stylus Photo R285 printer?

mike barrett January 18, 2012

I have a single PC and non-wireless Epson Stylus Photo R285 printer and would like to be able to print wirelessly. Can anyone help, please?

Hello, a print server is a hardware/software specifically made to handle print jobs.  Let's say that when you share your printer in a computer, the operating system in the computer acts as a printer servers for printer.  A printer server has the hardware and connections needed to make printer wireless/wired without the use of a computer.  If you have a print servers compatible with wireless you connect printer to it and send printer jobs to it.  As long as print server is recognized in your network, no computer has to be on for you to sent printer jobs to it. Here is more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_server

If your printer is connected to router throught USB and router is compatible with a printer server, it can be recognized in your network.  It is mostly used in companies where there are many computers in a network but they share a printer in a network.  Hope this info helps. 

• mike barrett

Many thanks, Fidelis. The wikipedia link answered my question completely.

Hello, I am glad to be of help

Hello, the sure way you can make your non-wireless printer wireless is by getting a print server.  Advantage of this is that you do not really need a computer to be on.  Of course you would also need to have a router installed in your network.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=print+server&x=0&y=0

You could also try connecting your printer to your computer with USB cable provided and share the printer in your network.  Once printer is shared, you could access it from any computer in your network including laptops with wireless as long as the laptop has the drivers for it.  Keep in mind that when you do it this way, the computer sharing the printer has to be on all the time.

• mike barrett

Hello Fidelis,

Thanks for your help, but I have a further question: what is a print server? I already have a wireless router (WGR614), courtesy of a very helpful and eager Virgin Media first line support person. I use it only because of its hardware firewall and the additional security.

I am puzzled this print server idea because as the router is transmitting so I expect the printer to have a receiver - not a server.  Can you enlighten me, please?