How can I print over a wireless network via a MiFi device?
Question by Domenic DiMento /

I’m a trucker. I use my  laptop to find loads, send/rec. faxes, invoice customers, etc. All from my truck w/laptop and scanning printer. I recently upgraded my wireless Internet USB modem connection to a wireless MiFi device. The new device can connect to multiple machines. Computer, printer, iphone, etc. How can I make my laptop communicate with my printer through this device, so I don’t have to string the cables in my truck. I’m not on my laptop now. I’m at home on the PC.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Dougmarlowe

Time to replace. I got the HP 9500 which is network aware and gets a PUBLIC IP address so you can print to it from anywhere! In the truck? Get a Bluetooth. (expensive!) or just wire up a dock.

• Lee

If you have a wifi-enabled printer, just connect the printer to the MiFi’s network and you should be able to set it up exactly like you would on a normal home wifi network. 
    If the printer isn’t wireless, then you can’t really hook it up wirelessly unless you buy some adapter (I don’t even know if adapters exist for that purpose).

Hello, MIFI is a compact wireless router that can act as a mobile hotspot.  Keep in mind that MIFI can be also used as USB modem when tethered to a computer through USB cable.  Only downside with using MIFI tethered through USB is that you will not be able to use the wireless function.

As long as the MIFI is running your laptop should pick up the signal for it.  Make sure MIFI is on, turn on your laptop and check for wireless connections.  Once MIFI connection shows, connect to it and you should be good to go.   The following link will show you how to setup MIFI with a novatel device.  They all should be similar.  Check page 9 in the next link:

http://www3.ipass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Novatel_MiFi_UserGuide.pdf

Is the printer wireless?  If printer is wireless you could use the same process to connect it to MIFI.