How can I print from my wireless laptop on the printer connected to my desktop PC?

Billy McKee May 6, 2010

I have a wireless laptop (Windows Vista) and a desktop (Windows XP). My printer is connected to the desktop. My wireless internet works fine on the laptop, but I can no longer perform any print jobs from the laptop. What do I need to do?

1. Uiwdhung

i need to know more information about your problem or you can go ask best buys or future shop or source or something 

2. Aliciasingh

i need more information on the question above.

3. Appy_borkar

Can I just attach the printer to the usb port of the laptop and install its drivers?Is it possible?

On your computer with the printer attached, make sure it's shared.

One your laptop, follow the prompts of adding a new printer that is attached to another pc.

Have a read of these links:
    http://www.home-network-help.com/share-printer.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

5. Steve Campbell

You need to make sure both computers are one the same network. On your laptop, when you go to print, add and find the network printer and you should be fine. So long as both computers are connecting to the same network it should be fairly easy to resolve your problem.

• Billy McKee

Thanks Steve for the heads up. When I open my network tab, there are two different networks listed with different variations of my name. I'm not sure how that happened. The printer is on one of the named networks that when I try to connect to the printer comes back with: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied."

• Steve Campbell

Maybe you could try creating a new network. Just make sure both computers are connected to your local network and print sharing should be enabled on the computer the printer is physically connected to. Every device that connects to your internet should now be able to print, theoretically ;)

Also go to Properties of the network that has the printer and make sure that file/printer sharing is turned on.