How can I best print MakeUseOf articles?

gary robert September 4, 2010

If I find an interesting MakeUseOf article and want to print it out all I get is two pages, one with only the logo on top and the other totally blank.

Generally, this also happens on other “printer-friendly” options. I get only the first page and that’s it.

I use Firefox. Is there a way to correct this?

1. Joe

I just found this thread after starting my own. I often have the same problem - notably on all MUO articles! Copying and pasting into OpenOffice.org writer mostly works, adds a few image placeholders that cover a bit of the text.

Using Firefox, I print to file in postscript and when I preview the file I see only one or two pages from the beginning and no more. On some sites, I can select the text to print and then print selection, but on MUO articles, this doesn't help.

Whatever it is, it's not just MUO, but MUO's articles have the worst kind of behavior.

Joe

2. Dazzlerbox

I use a Firefox plugin called Web2PDF. A small icon sits in the top right hand corner. It works a treat for me.

3. Hugo Heykers

Hi, for printing out an interesting article, you have several options. It depends on how ecological you want to be too.
    If you choose to print, then on the screen where you select your printer, select "as file". Normally it should give you an option "as postscript" or "as pdf", fill in the name you would like to give the file, and then click on "print".
    Otherwise as mentioned Mark O'Neill, you can select the text (eventually with pictures) and put it in an word document. This gives you the option to add some of you own comments afterwards in the same article. In this way, you don't have to search for related information in other places.
    Hope I gave you some ideas. Hugo Heykers-Antwerp

4. Mark O'Neill

Or highlight the desired text with your mouse. Then press CTRL + P and there is an option there to only print the highlighted text. That way, you only print what you want, and none of the logos, adverts, etc.

5. Jessica Cam W.

Can you try using Printliminator or PrintWhatYouLike? They're both bookmarklets you can use without installing anything to choose what you want to print.

• gary robert

this is useful, but i can already do that with my ScreenPrint Platinum app. what i'd really like to know is why, when i use the "print" or "printer-friendly" option on some sites, only 1 or 2 pages show up no matter how long the article is. is it some firefox format trick i should know to get the entire article - like printing out a pdf ??? i couldn't be the only one thats experienced this quirk.

I guess this 'quirk' is the reason apps like the ones Jessica mentioned exist. It's tough to predict how people view websites and which printer and paper format they are going to use. And the design, i.e. frames, php, etc. obviously has an impact on print formatting.But it is strange that you have the same effect when you're using the printer friendly formatting. It should only contain text, and if you told the printer to print all, not just the first two pages, it should print all there is, even if it's 10 pages.
        By the way, I use Firefox too and could not reproduce what you describe. I printed to PDF though as I currently don't have a printer hooked up. Could be a problem with your printer.

• gary robert

hi tina, thanks for your reply. the site that got me to ask about printing out articles is none other than the user-friendly Make Use Of. i couldn't find a "print" option, so i just did a file > print and, like i mentioned on top, the print preview showed just 2 pages. 1 with ONLY the top M.U.O. logo and nothing else - and the 2nd page was blank. this happens on a few other sites as well.
          when that happens i just use my ScreenPrint to capture page format sections of the entire article, then print each one individually - which is a real drag.
          try this, do a file > print on a Make Use Of multi-page article and let me know what you see. thanks, gary

I get three pages and part of the open article's content is on the second page. I use the same browser, but a different "printer" (freePDF XP).

Just do as Mark says, highlight the article you wish to print, then select 'highlighted text' from the print options.